Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organisation based in Africa. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa’s vision is to bring lasting health change in Africa and is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems. With headquarters in Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in Ethiopia, Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Southern Africa and West Africa providing services to over 30 countries. Employing over 900 staff and with an annual operating budget of approximately $100 million, Amref Health Africa is a knowledge resource for donors and partners. For more information on Amref Health Africa, please visit www.amref.org.
Amref Health Africa in Zambia is inviting suitably qualified applicants for the Technical Manager position to be based at the Head Office in Lusaka.
Main purpose of the job
The main purpose of the job is to provide overall leadership and technical support the Programme portfolio and to ensure sustained programme growth, performance and responsiveness to Amref, national and international strategic priorities.
Specific Key Responsibilities:
- Lead in the identification and development of new project proposals for the programme area, with support from the Programme Manager.
- Support in identification of new ideas and existing models that can be deployed through sustainable financing mechanisms.
- In conjunction with the Programme Manager, ensure the appropriate procedures and frameworks are in place to support the effective leveraging and scaling up of successful programs and initiatives.
- Coordinate participation of staff in programme in relevant National and Provincial –level technical working groups and platforms ensuing that participation generates value for AMREF.
- Liaise with various stakeholders- local authorities, donors, NGOs, and other operational partners in the Country through attendance in coordination meetings at Provincial/national and other relevant forums.
- Participate in relevant respective sector specific coordination forums and help foster exchanges of program information, best practices and training materials with partners, involved communities and various line Government ministry officials.
- Provide strategic leadership to the PHC and RMNACH and Nutrition programme, providing clear vision, and inspiring confidence and team spirit among programme staff.
- Support in problem identification and gap analysis leading to prioritization of the interventions and strategic focus of the program.
- Support in the development and implementation of cutting edge and evidence-based interventions in the program technical area.
- In partnership with the Programme Manager, support in developing and maintaining excellent external relationships to help build the organization’s reputation and profile.
- In partnership with the Programme Manager, support the dissemination of information on relevant government and international policies, and other relevant information to staff.
- Provide leadership in the identification, development and implementation of relevant operations research within the programme, drawing on support from the MER Unit.
- Support in the identification of relevant policy issues in the programme and supporting policy advocacy action/process.
- Develop and maintain working and advocacy partnerships with health and development stakeholders in relevant program areas, including assigned portfolio of counties and MOH policy fora (ICCs, TWGs) relevant to the programme.
Requirements and Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Public Health or related fiel
- 8-9 years’ relevant work experience in management of national and regional health programmes.
- Understanding of health systems in Zambia
- Well vest in health policies and guidelines especially as it pertains to Reproductive, Maternal, Neonatal, Child and Adolescent Health and communicable disease.
- National/provincial level work experience in Zambia and solid relationships with the Zambia health sector
- Experience in the development of strategic and tactical plans with other stakeholders who may represent a wide range of interest and needs
- Experience and strong reputation working with or liaising with government institutions and multilateral organizations and institutions would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated leadership showing strategic thinking in design and execution of projects, including steering work planning, managing and mentoring colleagues, and overseeing compliant and cost-effective use of resources to deliver on objectives.
Skills and Abilities
- Leadership and management skills
- Project Management
- Financial Management
- People Management
- Proposal Writing/Development
- Report Writing, editing and reviewing skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Networking and advocacy
- Communication – oral and written
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Research skills