The Reformed Open Community Schools (ROCS) is a child focused process facilitator organisation that empowers communities to transform their schools for improved learner outcomes. ROCS is a recognised stakeholder in supporting underprivileged and vulnerable children to access quality education in rural and peri- urban areas of Zambia. By contributing to wellbeing of the poor, ROCS endeavours (its reason for being), to show God’s love by working with, motivating and encouraging those in need to take charge of their own precarious situations and initiatives that provide solutions thereof.
ROCS is implementing the School Readiness Initiative (SRI) aimed at enhancing not only the children’s readiness for school but also to help primary schools get ready to receive transiting children into grade one in 8 districts in Zambia. The initiative focusses on providing access to quality ECD services by establishing ECD centres in rural community schools, increase teaching and caregiving skills to ECD and grade one teachers, sensitising and engaging relevant stakeholders such as communities, Parents Community School Committees, school administrators and other government line ministries.
It is against this background that ROCS is looking for a suitably qualified Zambians to fill up the vacancies of District Coordinator for Mafinga in Muchinga Province and Sinda in Eastern Province.
The District Coordinator will be based in the districts outlined and will be responsible for effective planning and coordination of all School Readiness Initiative (SRI) assignments in the district. The DCs will ensure effective engagement with district officials and strategic partners implementing similar programmes within the district. They will be responsible for regular monitoring of progress on the project implementation and documenting lessons learnt. The DC reports to the SRI Manager.
1. Act as an ambassador and information source for both the project and the organisation in the district
2. Lead continuous communication engagements with district stakeholders in the project areas and the district.
3. Coordinate all activities at District level, and lead district and community level planning and capacity-building
4. Ensure timely start of construction and completion of low cost ECE centers, latrines and play parks
5. Conduct on going coaching and mentoring for teachers on the Know How Course
6. Ensure that ECE teachers and grade 1 teachers are using the Child Steps to assess the learners
7. Conduct PCSC training focusing on Resource mobilisation, Entrepreneurship, etc and ensure that the committees are utilising the knowledge gained from the trainings
8. Ensure that termly parental sessions are taking place in all the community schools that are on the project
9. Prepare activity budgets and plans on time and submit to the supervisor when requested
10. Be fully accountable for project funds: spending according to plan & budget retiring on time
11. Be responsible for all ROCS property in your care, ensuring safety and that the property is used for ROCS/project related activities
12. Participate in program review meetings and other meetings that may be called
13. Prepare activity and project (monthly, quarterly, bi-annual, annual) reports.