Region: Southern Africa
Office: Lusaka, Zambia
Hours: Full time
Application deadline: December 15, 2023
Hivos is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Finance Officer. In this role you will be responsible for the finance and administration and will assist the project manager in the implementation of the climate justice projects. This includes maintaining oversight of financial and contractual compliance of a portfolio of grants, monitor and evaluate financial performance, compliance and risks of grantees. Tasks include ensuring that amongst others: payments are processed timely and correctly, ensure monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual budget comparisons are prepared and variance analysis reports provided.
- Overseeing finance and project administration of the projects and also maintaining oversight of financial and contractual compliance of partner grants.
- Overseeing financial and contractual compliance of the donor guidelines by co-applicants and sub grantees.
- Undertake due diligence and capacity assessments of potential sub grantee partners.
- Review financial reports submitted by the sub grantee partners and make recommendations to the Project Manager for payments and further disbursements.
- Conduct onsite visits for expenditure verification of partner records.
- Performs financial inspections of project partners as needed.
- Ensure budget tracking, sound financial management, including programmatic budgeting, quarterly spending projections, monthly spending reviews, and monitoring of payments;
- Set up and implement the Monitoring, Evaluation and Finance systems for partners and provides reports on financial progress of grantees.
- Assesses audited financial statements of projects and programme partners.
- Monitors monthly project spending prepares monthly financial reports and ensure budget comparisons are prepared and variance analysis reports provided
- Consolidate the financial reports of co-applicants and report to the back donor.
- Maintain proper records of all sub-award documents.
- Coordinate the programme audit.
- Initiate day to day transactions, payments and procurements of goods and services according to EU guidelines and procurement procedures
- Ensure all financial transactions are in accordance with the relevant grant agreement and are properly processed and correctly recorded in All Solutions.
- Ensure grants are administered in the Hivos systems.
- Document the highlights and agreements of key activities with partners and stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance for the projects, partners and staff to Hivos and donor policies and procedures
- Your profile
- Level of professional and analytical ability: A holder of ACCA and a Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance option) or other relevant degree.
- Valid practicing licence and membership with financial body
- Affinity with finances and administration.
- Have experiences in dealing with administration such as bidding documents, contracts, invoices, etc.
- Practical knowledge spreadsheet and working knowledge of an ERP environment.
- General knowledge of ICT, MS Office.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant accounting experience, preferable in an international or donor organization.
- Experience in administering large amounts of information and surveys.
- Ability to work in a financially complex international organization.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively; good command of oral and written English.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Professional discretion.
What we offer
Hivos offers a challenging position in an international environment.
The Regional office is based in Harare, Zimbabwe. This position will be based in Lusaka, Zambia. Hivos welcomes International & Regional applicants but can only offer a position to only those with a valid work permit for Zambia. Hivos can only offer employment on local terms and conditions.