Zambia Sugar Plc. is a subsidiary of Illovo Sugar Africa (Pty) Ltd Group and is the leading sugar producer in Zambia. Its main activities are the growing of sugar cane, the production and marketing of sugar and other sugar downstream products.
The Company invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the position of Artisan Mechanical Fitter. This position reports to the Mechanical Foreman and operates within the Agriculture function.
The successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out all mechanical fitting works on pump stations and centre pivots on site at Zambia Sugar PLC.
Key Performance Areas
- Maintain a Safe work environment, by attending safety meetings, reporting safety deviations, and unsafe conditions, performing risk assessments on each task to be performed, and ensuring all necessary work permits are obtained before commencing any task on any equipment.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of the condition of all plant equipment on a continuous basis.
- Ensure the daily planned inspection of all plant equipment is carried out as per PM, works order, route and checklist.
- Provide reliability written feedback based on inspection results, including safety checks.
- Validate and update equipment specification on Works Order
- Complete maintenance related jobs according to the highest standards of safety, efficiency and effectiveness
- Ensure, upon completion of repairs, that equipment is in good operating condition, ready to meet operational requirements, fully inspected, tested, clean and safe, (5S)
- Provide reporting on repair jobs including consumption of materials, tools, man hours and skills, and fill equipment history files – in form of feedback.
- Take part in equipment reliability improvement initiatives by completing 5-Why (level) investigations/root cause analysis for events meeting the set triggers.
- Receive and execute works orders and other instructions from supervisor, as assigned from time to time.
- Attend daily section/team meeting, and chair when requested by the supervisor.
- Ensure identified defects during plant inspections are documented on inspection works order checklist.
- Ensure the job plan on the works order, is diligently followed as per the works-order tasks, & correct tools are used on the job, as well as keep tools in good condition.
- Ensure Workshop housekeeping and work quality output is to standard of best practice.
- Prevent equipment failure and promote engineering reliability with a continuous improvement mind-set.
- Plan and organise work and resources for stop-days, shutdowns and off-crop jobs and communicate job requirements for these to the supervisor and report progress daily.
- Liaise with pivot operators when carrying out maintenance works and handover after works.
- Perform standby duties and callouts as and when instructed by the foreman or according to set roster.
- Able to carry out Safety inspections.
Minimum specifications / Requirements areas
- Grade 12 School Certificate
- Craft Certificate in Mechanical Fitting
- Should be 18 years and above.
- Three years working experience and knowledge on pumps, centre pivot maintenance, and pipeline maintenance/fitting, in Agriculture/manufacturing industry.
- Maintenance experience and knowledge on Valley or TL Centre Pivots will be an added advantage.
- The candidate must have good interpersonal skills, sober minded and good technical reporting skills.
- Ability to read and write English.
- Valid EIZ membership
Method of Application
Should you be interested in applying for any of the roles, please submit your detailed CV, copies of relevant qualifications, relevant professional accreditation, registrations and ID/Passport for the attention of the HR Business Partner clearly stating the role applied for in the subject line.
Closing date for applications: Applicants may be required to complete pre-employment checks (qualification, credit, security, background and medical assessments) as part of the recruitment process where applicable.
Should you not hear from us within 4 weeks after the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.