People in Need works in Zambia since 2017 delivering lifesaving and development assistance to vulnerable people in the sectors of nutrition, livelihoods, WASH, environment and good governance.
We are looking for an energetic individual with passion for farming and biogas and ready to work with our teams in the field.
Position: Project Officer
Location: Mongu (with frequent visits to the project’s locations in Western Province)
Contract duration: 3 months (October to December)
Start date: ASAP.
Line Manager: Project Manager
The Project Officer will be responsible for providing effective support and assistance to the Sustainable Livelihoods & Environment team to ensure smooth Programme implementation in line with PIN and donor’s rules and regulations. Under the supervision of the Project Manager, he/she will provide the assistance and support to project administration, procurement, record keeping, reporting, as well as simple coordination and implementation of project activities. He/she will work closely with project beneficiaries and stakeholders. The Project Officer will directly report to Project Manager (PM) and work closely with Technical Officer (TC).
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Project Implementation Support
- Supports Project Manager (PM) in designing Activity reports and monthly work plans
- Keeps project documentation (hard copies and on ELO) and works closely with support departments in order to ensure that all internal procedures are followed.
- Conducts monitoring of project activities and submits monitoring report to PM.
- Under the guidance of PM supports the coordination and implementation of project activities with special focus on beneficiary and stakeholder support and engagement
- Participates in internal weekly coordination meetings with the PIN team led by the PM,
- Participates in external coordination and sectoral meetings with project partners, associates
- Together with the PM, participates in the meetings with relevant Ministries and other local authorities
- Organizes meetings and assists in meeting project requirements and participates in the capacity building activities organized for the farmers
- Informs stakeholders, partners and the project team about relevant project information
Administrative Support & Archiving
- Maintains and organizes up-to-date hard and electronic project files (ELO and SharePoint) for easy access and retrieval
- Leads on and coordinates on standardized project forms (e.g. attendance sheets). Ensures that the team uses the standardized forms with correct logos.
- Maintains and organizes project photos.
- Ensures safekeeping of confidentiality of sensitive materials.
- Creates and maintains files of correspondence/documents and electronically received information and ensures up-to-date filing.
- Supports PM in writing official letters and invitations
- Takes minutes of regular team meetings
- Keeps track of project schedules/deadlines and informs the team accordingly.
- Supports PM in maintaining contact with stakeholders.
- Support PM with project reports development
- Ensures tracking of monitoring data from project target communities
- Participates at project monthly review meetings
- Collects all relevant data and indicators in the field and cooperates closely with PM and MEAL Unit
- Prepares advances and clearances. Ensures that no data, receipts or attendance sheets are missing, all forms are filled in correctly, and calculations are done correctly. Ensures that correct BLs are used and that correct and full descriptions appear on the documents.
- In case of distributions, he/she ensures that distribution sheets and cover sheets are filled in correctly
Communication & Visibility
- Participates in communication and visibility activities
- Ensures timely preparation of purchase requests, and follows the project purchases with the Logistics Department
- Assists with project related procurement and preparation of ToR
Safety and Security
Assess safety and security situation critically and make informed decisions to protect project team and beneficiaries
Inform and consult with Project manager immediately about any serious security issues affecting the project and tea.
- Secondary School education Certificate is required.
- University degree (or equivalent) in Social Sciences, Agriculture, Development Studies or another related field
Skills & Experience
- 2 years of experience with administrative tasks.
- 2 years of experience with working in similar programme position
- Excellent skills in working with Word, Excel, Power Point and other office software packages
- Has background in alternative source of energy, preferable experience with biogas technology
- At least one-year experience with working in a team
- Understanding of the project management cycle
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to and understanding of PIN’s aims, values and principles
- Ability to learn fast and a sense for detail
- Work experience in humanitarian/development settings
- Work experience with international NGO
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Has experience/is aware of livestock management
- Understanding of Silozi language, as the project is being implemented in Western Province with the major population of Lozi people
- Ability to assess problems and recommend solutions
- Self-starter and motivated, ability to plan and organize work independently
- Ability to work under pressure and react accordingly to evolving context/situation
- Experience in working with various stakeholders, include. farmers, government officials, business sector, financial institutions.
NB: People with special needs and Women are encouraged to apply.
WHAT PEOPLE IN NEED ZAMBIA OFFER-(BENEFITS)
- 24 annual leave per year
- Contributions of Health Insurance (Nhima) as by Law.
- Accident insurance for all injuries during work time.
- National pension scheme contributions as by law
- Extensive Capacity Building program, both internal and external trainings – Induction training.
- internal online opportunities, such as access to e-learning platform and webinars
- Month contribution for phone tariffs
- Annual Staff retreat
- International environments with oppotunities to learn from other country programs
- Paternity leave of 5 days and maternity leave of 14 weeks
- Breastfeeding breaks for nursing colleagues
- Per diem for working and sleeping outside of duty town depending on the location.
- Friendly and fair environment in small collective structure where everyone knows each other.
- We have lunch break with meals available at the office
- 2 health breaks twice per day.
- Salaries are according to People in Need Salary scale and shortlisted candidates to be informed about the salaries.