Marie Stopes Zambia (MSZ) is a marketing-focused, results-oriented social enterprise, which uses modern management and marketing techniques to provide family planning and reproductive healthcare. MSZ is part of the global network that is Marie Stopes International (MSI). MSZ subscribes to the MSI goal and mission, which is to prevent unwanted births and to ensure the individual’s right to Children by Choice not Chance.
It is a role requirement that the job holder must fully support the concept of Child Protection, zero tolerance for fraud and bribery and comply with, promote and live MSI CORE VALUES: mission driven, customer focused, results orientated, pioneering, sustainable and people centered.
Marie Stopes Zambia (MSZ) seeks a Commercial Director to harness the potential of working with the private sector to position MSZ as a leader in the national health market and maximise the impact of our services. The Commercial Director will oversee and lead the Social Marketing operations of MSZ (social marketing of products) to a sustainable financial position. This role will be pivotal to achieving a sustainable future for MSZ, enabling it to continue its mandate of delivering services for the social benefit of the population and particular the women of Zambia.
The Commercial Director will be required to ensure that the network of MSZ’s socially marketed products and sales channel develops into a thriving business, providing exceptional quality and value for their customers and generating enough revenue to cover their costs and make a positive contribution to the overall financial health of MSZ. She/He will report to the Country Director, line managing sales staff.
Key responsibilities and related deliverables:
Design and roll out of effective product sales and trade marketing strategies to ensure strong sales mindful of Place, Product, Price and Promotion needs presented by the market now and into the future
Develop and grow the existing health product social marketing business into a viable sales channel that increases access for its customers to quality reproductive health care products, generates needed cashflow and makes a positive contribution to the social business of MSZ
Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Social Marketing Business; build the right leadership team that will grow the business, strengthen and ensure its sustainability
Develop and oversee the long-term business strategies, overseeing the achievement and maintenance of a satisfactory competitive position within the industry
Ensure proper and effective business system alignment with the department strategic focus, including the right leadership competence
Sales and Trade Marketing Strategy
- Use market intelligence to develop an approved strategy that will deliver commercially viable sales business of current portfolio
- Design effective business plans for the whole organisation with clear targets and accountabilities
- Design and execute successful launch of new products or new way of distribution channels
- Establish and implement a monitoring system that measure ROI, generating data for analysis to improve strategy, planning and productivity
- Manage product pricing strategy including annual revisions as appropriate
- Identify opportunities for expansion of product portfolio based on unmet client needs with commercially viable, surplus generating product solutions
- Provide hands on leadership, and supervision to sales staff and manage contracts with regional distributors based on monthly targets
- Develop and ensure adherence to financial and credit policy
- Position the company within the private sector as the optimal partner for sales and marketing of pharmaceutical products
Lead all Commercial Activities
- Accelerate growth in MSZ commercial operations through developing and implementing efficient and effective sales and marketing strategies in line with MSZ goals and objectives.
- Conduct routine market research and analysis and findings to create business plans on commercial opportunities (expansion, business development, etc.).
- Understand the requirements of existing customers to ensure that their needs are being met and creatively manage their expectations to surpass set records.
- Act to acquire new customers and manage client relationships profitably
- Collaborate with and coordinate diverse teams (marketing, sales, customer service etc.)
- Build and maintain profitable partnerships with key stakeholders – market, government, and institutions.
- Monitor productivity and performance of the Social Marketing team activities against key metrics and prepare reports for the Senior Management Team.
- Set Social Marketing financial targets and budget and monitor productivity and achievement of set targets.
- Represent the company at pharmaceutical meetings and commercial events and environments.
- Position the company within the private sector as the optimal partner for delivery of sexual reproductive health services
- Manage the development of Marie Stopes Zambia’s corporate offer; prudently pricing services, managing costs effectively and creating long term relationships with reputable companies and organisations in order to ensure the organisation meets its surplus targets
- Oversee compliance of associates with established Company policies and standards, such as safekeeping of company funds and property, personnel practices, security, sales and record-keeping procedures etc
- Support overall MSZ strategy by actively participating in Executive Team meetings
- Maintain timely administration of required reports
- Participate in annual business planning and develop an annual work plan and budget with teams
- Masters/BSc degree in Social Sciences, Marketing or Business Management
- Relevant post-graduate qualification e.g. MBA, MSc, MA (desirable).
- Senior level experience (not less than 5 years) in Sales, Marketing/Marketing Communications in Medical oriented business or FMCG company is required
- Proven ability to lead pharma commercial teams, projects and start-up companies to profitability
- Proven ability to develop and work within approved work plans, lead and manage pharma projects
- Strong oral, written communication, interpersonal, problem solving and analytical skills
- A knowledge of reproductive health care (desirable)
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft Office package
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluency in both written and spoken English
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment
- Ability to manage a heavy and fluctuating workload
- Results orientated
- Experience with forecasting and business planning
- Understanding of commercial and financial management needs and principles – sales, marketing, pricing, margin, supply, forecasting and distribution
- Belief in the role of the private sector to deliver health outcomes
- A self-starter- able to work with limited direction to achieve results
- Demonstrates MSZ team member behaviours
- Pro MSI philosophy of social enterprise and cost recovery
Able to travel extensively within Zambia
Note: MSI takes a zero tolerance approach to fraud and bribery, terrorism, money laundering, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct or any safeguarding issues. Applicants will be subjected to a Police Clearance Check and Reference Checks.
MSZ is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting a culture of equality and diversity. MSZ will actively strive to eliminate discrimination on the grounds of age, disability, race (which includes colour, nationality and ethnic or national origins), religion or beliefs.