POSITION: Technology Officer
ORGANISATION: African Parks, Greater Kafue Landscape Ltd
LOCATION: Kafue National Park
REPORTING TO: Special Projects Manager
African Parks is a non-profit conservation organization founded in 2000 that manages 22 National Parks and protected areas in 11 countries covering over 17 million hectares. This is achieved through long-term agreements with national governments, putting in place funding solutions and establishing good governance and management to achieve ecological, social and financial sustainability.
- Under the direct supervision of the Special Projects Manager, the Conservation Technology officer will be responsible for all Communication Systems, Networks and IT support for the Greater Kafue Landscape LTD. This role will include tasks such as maintaining the VHF radio system and the associated backbone network, internet provision in multiple locations, solar installations relating to connectivity / IT and IP camera systems in the Greater Kafue Landscape. Moreover, the Conservation Technology Officer will work closely with other colleagues that are working on technology. This includes (but is not limited to) EarthRanger, Camera traps and data collecting applications.
Hardware related responsibilities:
- Ensure that the backbone and all connected equipment is fully operational. This includes power equipment, backbone network management, radio repeaters.
- Radio network management, including repeaters, radio fleet, codeplug management, Motorola programming and system management software.
- Internet connection management to ensure the best possible user experience where work applications are prioritised. This includes site routers, point to point WiFi network connections, WiFi access points and wired network points.
- Technology hardware management, including spare equipment (all technology related hardware).
- Management of specialized LE equipment, incl. sat comms, NVG, etc.
- Ensure fully operational control room hardware and systems.
- Provide IT support to end users.
- Management and setup of Android field data collection devices.
Software related responsibilities:
- ArcGIS management and integration (Including data collections applications such as Survey 123, QuickCapture)
- Anti-virus and Windows update management
- Unifi, UISP and Mikrotik management systems.
- Victron Remote Management Platform
- Manage all radios in radio dispatcher application (TRBOnet)
Important to note: The Prospective Candidate Must:
- Have a hands-on problem-solving mentality
- Strong personal integrity and dependability
- Be someone who is physically fit. Be someone who is not afraid of heights, as the job entails someone who is capable to climb radio towers to repair and replace components.
- Be someone who is not afraid of wildlife and be willing to live and camp remotely in the wild with no access to running water or bathroom facilities.
- Be a team player
- Experience in the conservation sector is an advantage
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree in computer science, GIS or Conservation
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in network management and technological support to conservation.
- Experience on managing networks and PTP links
- Knowledge of digital radio systems (preferably Motorola)
- Experience in GIS/Esri
- Proven ability to train and build capacity in multi-cultural context
- A high level of attention to detail, structured, positive and accountable worth etic is a must.
- Fluency in English (read and written)
- Proven ability at working both individually and in a team
- Willingness to live and work in a remote area with basic living conditions
- Driver’s license will be an advantage
- African Parks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Method of Application
Applicants for this position must have a clean record and traceable references. Candidates must include a day time contact number.
Interested and qualified candidates must submit their CV with a covering letter describing their suitability for the role. All applicants must include at least 2 contactable references, along with certified copies of NRC and relevant Qualifications.
Application must be submitted to the Regional Human Resources Manager, by email.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview. GKLL reserves the right not to employ.