Wasoko is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small merchants to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services previously unavailable to informal businesses. Wasoko aims to provide everything a retailer needs, with no wholesalers or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Zambia, and Uganda use Wasoko’s mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Role: Country Accountant
We are searching for a stellar Country Accountant. They will undertake all aspects of financial management for Wasoko at a country level, including financial reporting, local tax compliance management, and countrywide audits.
Global Head of Corporate Finance
Direct Reports: Range 1 – 6 (Hub Accountant)
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform and review ledger & sub-ledger reconciliations for all balance sheet items.
- Perform and review inventory and tax reconciliations.
- Perform and review reconciliations for bank & cash balances; debtors; suppliers; inventory and control accounts.
- Generate fixed asset register and fixed asset movement schedule which ties to the General Ledger.
- Generate aged open balance listings for all items in the balance sheet.
- Generate a list of all proposed reconciling journals.
- Perform financial record audits to ensure compliance with IFRS and with the law.
- Ensure all accounting procedures follow IFRS.
- Assist in instituting financial controls (including end-of-day, and month procedures) that are aimed at ensuring integrity of financial data. capture and aid in the process of regular reconciliations.
- Analyze financial data and trace discrepancies.
- Review financial documents to identify inaccuracies.
- Perform a review of reconciliations and tasks carried out by the bookkeepers.
The successful candidate will possess:
- 5+ years of accounting experience, preferably in retail, at a company with over $100,000 USD in annual turnover, or at a leading regional or international accounting firm
- Prior work experience across East African markets preferred
- Degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business Administration; preference ACCA or CPA or MBA
- Negotiation skills and the ability to develop solid relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- High degree of proficiency with accounting and administration software, preferably Quickbooks
- A collaborative team player with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, start-up environment
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) and the ability to communicate with sophistication within a business setting.