Marie Stopes Zambia (MSZ) is a marketing-focused, results-oriented social enterprise, which uses modern management and marketing techniques to provide family planning and reproductive healthcare. MSZ is part of the global network that is Marie Stopes International (MSI).
MSZ subscribes to the MSI goal and mission, which is to prevent unwanted births and to ensure the individual’s right to Children by Choice not Chance.
MSZ seeks a Director of Clinical Services to oversee all clinical services functions including clinical trainings, competency assessment, clinical governance and general support for all channels: Outreach teams, Family Health Centre (FHC), Adolescent sites and Social Marketing
1. Clinical Standards
- Ensure that best clinical practices from the global MSI partnership are integrated into MSZ clinical service delivery
- Ensure that channel team members understand MSI objectives and goals and that they are adequately qualified and trained, are multi-skilled and deployed in a multi-tasked manner within their scope of competence
- Ensure that channels are equipped with an adequate supply of appropriate equipment including clinical supplies and furniture and that stock supplies are controlled through accurate recording
- Ensure that proper and detailed records are maintained, including the efficient management of all complications and complaints including response times
- Ensure that internal audits are conducted at regular intervals using an internal audit checklist and show improvement in all model sites/areas
- Chair the MSZ Medical Advisory Team to ensure that clinical issues and concerns are raised and resolved at a senior management level
- Be supervising doctor for FHC and conduct weekly physical visits and monitoring of HPCZ and MSI quality standards adherence
2. Clinical Training
- Ensure effective and impactful training and supportive supervision of assigned providers addressing MSI Quality Assurance thematic areas
- Ensure all providers are regularly competency assessed at least annually
- Ensure the maintenance of a training and competency database which shall meet Medical Development Team requirements. The same shall be used to develop the annual Training Needs Assessment
- Keeps the Continuous Supportive Supervision checklists and records, follows up on action plans and ensures updates are tracked and reported
3. Project Management
- Work closely with team members, take a strategic, forward-looking role in establishing MSZ future programme direction, with particular focus on driving MSZ towards programme sustainability, and ensuring the organisation plays a leading role in improving health statistics in Zambia
- Draft and implement work plans in consultation and co-ordination with other departments
- Ensure all project activities are implemented on time and within budget
- Oversee clinical training budget management
- Write reports, position papers, and updates as required
- Communicate and coordinate with project partners including partner NGOs, donors, relevant government departments and other stakeholders
- Ensure compliance with MSI and relevant donor regulations and requirements
- Oversee the supply chain unit ensuring that the quality of team supplies are in accordance with clinical and regulatory standards
5. External Relations
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of the reproductive health sector in Zambia, particularly with regard to addressing gaps in service delivery
- Nurture collaborative professional networks with the government health departments (at National, Provincial and District level), the private sector, organisations and individuals.
- Represent MSZ at forums, meetings and conferences with health authorities, technical working groups or other bodies aiming to further access to health services
- As a member of the Executive Team, demonstrate a strong commitment to MSZ mission and goals and encourage a similar commitment from all team members
- Link, train and harmonise different departments of the organisation to work efficiently together in order to meet donor requirements as well as achieve MSZ goals
- Ensure that a high level of communication is maintained with other MSZ departments, as well as with MSI and other external partners
- Encourage a positive culture, work environment and attitude among all team members
From time to time carry out any other duties as reasonably requested by the Country Director and/or management.
Qualifications & Experience
- Medical Doctor. Preferably an Obstetrician-Gynaecologist
- A master’s degree with relevant experience will be an added advantage
- Valid medical registration
- At least ten (10) years post graduate experience in a clinic, hospital or Public Health environment
- Experience in managing USAID / SIDA / UN or other donor funded projects
- Experience in project management
- Senior Management level experience
- Proven clinical training skills
- Hands-on skills in providing clinical services
- Extensive working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work well with others in team environments
- Manage multiple stakeholder relationships
- Should be able to work in deadline driven/results orientated atmospheres
- Strong people management skills
- Strategic guidance and planning skills
- Report writing skills
- Motivated personally and professionally to develop
- Willingness to travel extensively locally and internationally
Note: MSZ is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting a culture of equality and diversity. MSZ will actively strive to eliminate discrimination on the grounds of gender, age, disability, race (which includes colour, nationality and ethnic or national origins), religion or beliefs.
MSI takes a zero tolerance approach to fraud and bribery, terrorism, money laundering, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct or any safeguarding issues. Applicants will be subjected to a Police Clearance Check and Reference Checks.
Method of Application
Candidates who meet the requirements should email their detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter to the email below.