Bring your possibility to life! Define your career with us
With over 100 years of rich history and strongly positioned as a local bank with regional and international expertise, a career with our family offers the opportunity to be part of this exciting growth journey, to reset our future and shape our destiny as a proudly African group.
My Career Development Portal: Wherever you are in your career, we are here for you. Design your future. Discover leading-edge guidance, tools and support to unlock your potential. You are Absa. You are a possibility.
Sell the bank’s Retail products
Sales to Retail Customers 60%
Deliver exceptional sales performance by identifying and meeting customer needs through selling & cross selling of all Absa Africa Retail products & services.
• Participate in specific product campaigns by ensuring that the products are explained to customers.
• Agree, meet and exceed targets for specific sales campaigns.
• Maintain own sales performance statistics for management information usage.
• Own and manage personal product & channel sales targets to contribute towards the branch sales objectives.
• Refer to the appropriate area of delivery for specialist product help or advice (e.g., Schemes or Home Loans) when uncertain about the product delivery or application process. Respond directly to the customer.
• Build effective relationships with branch staff to ensure that non-sales staff refer customers to the Customer Advisor when they identify a particular product or service need.
• Complete account opening documentation together with customers and submit to Branch Manager/KYC Coordinator/Team Leader Sales for review before submitting to operations for processing.
• When selling loans to Retail customers, complete the financial analysis and statement review on customer accounts. Where customers do not meet the minimum criteria, advise the customer, verbally or in writing as the customer requires. Report such denials to the Branch Manager or Team Leader Sales on a daily basis.
Call customers when their accounts have been opened, generate welcome pack letters and send them to customers.
• Monitor drawdowns for new loans and contact customers to determine reasons for non-utilisation after a period of time.
Operational Rigour and Compliance with KYC Requirements 20%
• Own customer queries and complaints around account opening, loans, and card applications and resolve them in a timely manner. Escalate any unresolved queries, or queries not resolved in a short period of time to the Team Leader Sales or Branch Manager.
• Build relationships with internal service providers (Operations and the KYC Helpdesk) to ensure a quick turnaround time of escalated queries and complaints.
• Direct customers to the appropriate delivery channel to meet their needs e.g., cashiers, drop boxes, ATM etc.
• Advise customers as soon as cheque books, cards and other account items are ready for collection. Follow up with customers that have not collected the items within a reasonable time.
• Issue ATM cards as per the Card & Pin Process.
Advise customers as soon as new loans are approved and encourage draw-downs on the new loans
Contribution to the development of the team 5%
• Share knowledge and experience with other Customer Advisors in the team.
• Provider cover for other Customer Advisors in case of excessive workload or absence.
Deputise for the Branch Manager or Team Leader when required
Personal Development 5%
• Agree annual performance objectives with the Team Leader Sales or Branch Manager, including specific sales targets.
• Pursue continued improvement in personal development by participating in development programmes and training.
Knowledge & Skills:
Additional Job Description
Knowledge of the Bank’s products, services and policies including standard tariffs.
• A good understanding of overall Retail goals & objectives, including the branch’s objectives for growth of sales, cost control and income contribution
• A thorough understanding of the sales process
• A working knowledge of the procedure manuals
• A good working knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation e.g., KYC, Anti-Money laundering, banking code, service standards, health & safety standards etc
• A thorough knowledge of the bank’s internal departments, systems & procedures as well as risk & rigour requirements
• A sound working knowledge of competitor products and services
• Excellent planning & organisation skills
• Very strong communication skills, both verbal and written
• Questioning skills
• Good PC skills
• Good numeracy & analytical skills
• Good selling/influencing skills
• Presentation skills
• Listening skills
Further Education and Training Certificate (FETC): Business, Commerce and Management Studies (Required)