At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
FQM Trident Limited is looking for a Commercial Services Superintendent with a good degree from a reputable university. The Commercial Services Superintendent will manage the services Contracts Coordinator and the Commercial Projects Coordinator, as well as be responsible for functioning of their respective teams. Responsibilities include overseeing and managing services contracts, critical commercial aspects of business and ad-hoc commercial projects under the guidance and direction of the Commercial Manager.
Specific Job Responsibility
- The Commercial Services Superintendent will facilitate the provision of non-goods services by vendors/contractors to Trident and be responsible for several critical commercial aspects of fuel, lubricants, explosives, bussing, health services, KTDC and so on.
Primary job responsibilities will involve –
- Planning and overseeing the services Contracts team that executes and manages services procurement through the Contracts Coordinator,
- Negotiating and executing key services contracts to avail best terms and pricing.
- Planning and managing complete tender procurement processes with the utmost discretion, fairness and good judgement.
- Planning and overseeing the coordination of critical commercial aspects and ad-hoc projects through the Commercial Projects Coordinator for fuel, explosives, lubricants, bussing (i.e. transportation for Company employees), logistics, commercial aspects of Kalumbila Town Development Corporation (KTDC) and health services.
- Timely and accurate invoice/payment authorisations and escalations in Pronto ERP with necessary due diligence,
- Preparing and managing the section budget,
- Identifying any potential bottlenecks and executing corrective actions when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned by the Commercial Manager, including assisting any other department or FQM group entity as and when required.
- The responsibilities of the Commercial Services Superintendent may vary from time to time.
Job Specific Competencies
The Commercial Services Superintendent should have:
- Knowledge of supervisory practices, principles and techniques
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Negotiation and coordination skills,
- Vendor management and tender process running skills
- Intermediate finance knowledge
- Basic knowledge of how the mining industry operates and basic knowledge of the contract management
- Knowledge of procurement principles
- Knowledge and experience in using analytical tools and good computer skills
Key Job Attributes
The Commercial Services Superintendent must:
- Own his/her allocated areas of responsibility and take initiative
- Have unquestionable integrity
- Pay attention to detail
- Must have a desire to learn and have strong comprehension
- Be conceptually sound with numbers and arithmetic/algebra
- Have a keen eye for continuous process improvement
- Be driven and have the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Have the ability to multi-task when necessary
- Be able to do ad-hoc tasks depending on the project
- Must be assertive when necessary
- Be a team player, empathetic and adapt to personalities in the working environment.
Experience Required to Perform in This Job
At least 4 years of work experience in a commercial/procurement field, with preference given to mining commercial department experience.
Past experience with auditing, contract management and/or contract drafting will be looked at favourably.
- A Bachelor’ degree in Commerce, Business, Law, Engineering, and/or Finance. Higher education in other disciplines may be considered
- Good understanding of the Law of Contract.
- Zambia Institute of Purchasing and Supply membership will be advantageous.
- Distinction or equivalent from a reputable university will be advantageous.
- MBA/ CFA/ CA designation will be advantageous.
- Pronto ERP experience will be advantageous.
- SAP Ariba experience will be advantageous.