At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
The role of Superintendent Blasting will be responsible for coordinating personnel, equipment and resources to ensure Blast operational activities are undertaken in a safe, cost effective and efficient manner in line with agreed operational standards and targets. The role will implement robust plans to ensure that the business is able to meet production targets daily and achieve continued sustainability in a safe and efficient manner and in compliance with statutory legislative requirements.
The role coordinate Mine Blasting Coordinators and to be in charge of all Blasting operations. Additionally the role also provides technical guidance to employees on blasting related matters in order to ensure that the blasting works are planned and completed on schedule in line with quality and safety standards
Specific Job Responsibility
- Responsible for overall blasting operations, providing guidance to Mine Blasting Coordinators.
- Encouraging teamwork, facilitating related professional work processes and resolving any escalated onsite issues to ensure that work is correctly prioritized and completed.
- Monitor the explosive contractor in making sure quality is followed in executing day-to-day work and ensure cost optimisation.
- Monitoring and verifying Contractors quotes and invoices.
- Ensure reports on blasting are compiled and blasting data is filled.
- Complying to the work package, schedule and budget.
- Ensure reconciliation of explosive usage against planned to minimise cost.
- Responsible for formulating blasting budget and associated cost saving initiatives
- Managing the Blasting KPI’s for the blasting section by ensuring an effective blasting QAQC program
- Responsible for the Internal, environmental and safety Audits.
- To ensure that all work within the operation is carried out in an efficient manner which is consistent with operating policies and procedures.
- Provide on-the-job training and constructive feedback to Subordinates to support their overall development.
- Provide technical advice to employees on blasting matters to support them in the achievement of their jobs and to internal departments.
- To provide with feedback and recommendations for future improvement based on technical issues faced in blasting.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant quality, health, safety and environment management procedures, standards, controls and systems across blasting. Including applicable explosives in mining regulations.
- Responsible for making sure the Log book appointments are as per regulations and to ensure compliance
- Any other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies
- Be conversant with applicable Sleeving Methods
- Demonstrate working knowledge of Axis Electronics
- Must possess knowledge of working with Xplo loggers
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Accident / Incident Investigation expertise.
- Excellent safety, people and performance management skills.
Key Job Attributes
- Detail Orientated
- Problem Solving
- Must possess Excellent communication skills
- Problem solving skills
- Must be flexible to work and attend to any shift as assigned
- Ability to multi-task
- Conflict resolution
- Must be an active listener
- Must be a good team player
- Ability to make precise judgment and decisions
- Ability to delegate as and when need arises
- Must be able to effectively manage time
- Must be smart
- Must possess managerial courage
- Must demonstrate excellent business acumen
- Process oriented
- Must be an influencer of positive change
Experience required to perform in this job
- At least 5 -10 years’ work experience in a mining environment at a senior level
- Demonstrate knowledge on various Blasting operation techniques
- Knowledge of various Blasting operations
- A proven understanding of all mining operational functions
- Full Grade 12 Certificate
- BSc Mining Engineering or equivalent
- Electronic initiating systems certificate.
- Valid Zambian driver’s license
- Must be Computer Literate
- Must be holder of or have the ability to obtain a Zambian Blasting license
- Must be holder of or have the ability to obtain a MSD approved first aid certificate
- Must be a registered member of the Engineering Institute of Zambia
Method of Application
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website