Zambia Sugar Plc. is a subsidiary of Illovo Sugar Africa (Pty) Ltd Group and is the leading sugar producer in Zambia. Its main activities are the growing of sugar cane, the production and marketing of sugar and other sugar downstream products. The Company invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the position indicated below in the Manufacturing Department, on a Permanent basis.
The position reports to the Factory Engineering Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for the safe operation of the steam and power generation plant ensuring compliance to OEM Design standards and all legal and statutory (OSH ACT or equivalent) requirements & SHERQ standards.
Key Performance Areas
- Ensure optimal performance of all steam generation and power steam equipment in the steam and power generation plant.
- Responsible for engineering input in terms of equipment settings for the season e.g., Boilers and power steam systems, Optimisation etc.
- Responsible for the S&PG Engineering input to the EngineeringManager in terms of repair solutions and supervision/co-ordination of repairs to critical equipment / Abnormal projects etc.
- Responsible for S&PG Engineering input into Capital / Abnormal & Maintenance Projects.
- Management of allocated Capital Projects.
- Manage/oversee all mechanical work on allocated Abnormal Projects during Off-crop
- Responsible for the S&PG aspects of the stop day and off-crop planning processes and execution of the relevant maintenance scope
- Responsible for the development of Season and Off-Crop S&PG budgets with the engineering manager, finance business partner, and optimization team, and manage allocated budgets, including cost-effective management of resources.
- Collaborate with Reliability Engineer to identify and execute reliability improvements through design modifications and reliability improvement strategies
- Responsible for Maintenance improvements to optimize the efficiency and output of boilers and power steam systems achieving reliability criteria within the maintenance budget
- Responsible for Cleaning/De-ashing cycles
- Implement performance and statutory tests in line with design performance.
- Responsible for shutdown and start-up processes.
- Provide expertise on day-to-day Engineering related issues, support and advise on solutions.
- Provide technical and overall leadership to both direct and indirect personnel in the area of responsibility.
- Ensure effective implementation of engaged performance management systems.
- Drive synergies with the Group, effectively partnering with Group counterparts to identify, share and embed opportunities for engineering improvements.
- Set direction, implement, and monitor continuous improvement by driving work practices, and ensuring that tools and techniques are being applied to deliver high-quality products made in a safe and sustainable manner.
- Manage and coordinate the sharing and implementation of identified engineering best practices, frameworks, and minimum standards within function across entities and through the Head Office platform and provide additional opportunities for problem identification and knowledge sharing.
- Maintain effective engagement with key maintenance & engineering service providers
- Responsible for the Management of technical standards, specifications and group risk mitigation policies and the governance thereof
- Responsible for Statutory Requirements and legal appointment as delegated by the engineering manager and required by the Country Occupational Health and Safety Act (or equivalent).
- Identify and monitor KPIs to track performance and flag any issues.
- Perform standby duties as designated by the engineering manager
- Responsible for all asset care regarding boilers and power steam systems such as RCAs, defect elimination, critical spares planning, planning and execution of off-crop activities.
- Ensure boiler feed-water quality management standards and processes are upheld
- Manage Supplementary fuel (including equipment)
- Manage Ancillaries, feed water, ash plant, etc. as agreed with Factory Leadership
- Promote and adhere to Illovo’s procedures, policies, and guidelines, including, without limitation, those relating to SHERQ, Competition Law and Anti-Bribery and Corruption (ABC)
- Degree in Mechanical / Electrical Engineering
- 3+ years on Water tube Boilers and Power Generation
- 2+ years of broad experience in sugar mill equipment.
- 2+ year of maintenance engineering experience
- Continuous improvement of knowledge and experience
- Fully proficient on the maintenance requirements of the OSHACT or Country Equivalent (Statutory maintenance, inspections, legal appointments etc.) as it relates to all sugar milling equipment including but not limited to high-pressure steam systems, power generation, rotating equipment and maintenance
How to Apply
Should you be interested in applying for any of the roles, please submit your detailed CV, copies of relevant qualifications, relevant professional accreditation, registrations and ID/Passport for the attention of the HR Business Partner email@example.com clearly stating the role applied for in the subject line.