Wasoko (“people of the market” in Swahili) is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. We are East Africa’s biggest digitized retail distribution platform powered by our own in-house logistics network. Tens of thousands of informal retailers across seven countries (Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Ivory Coast, Senegal and Zambia) use Wasoko to order everyday essential goods and receive working capital financing.
The informal retailers of Africa today are the primary if not the only channel used by consumers to purchase essential goods worth over $600 billion per year. The fragmented infrastructure across large land mass, distributed but diverse population and rather a smaller basket size spend does not yet lend themselves to big basket retail or mass consumer eCommerce. Instead, the informal retail ecosystem is THE channel for building the plumbing for digital and consumer
commerce across Africa.
This is Wasoko’s opportunity. Wasoko with its brand, scale and logistics network is best positioned to build the technology-leveraged rails to serve the 1+ billion African consumers through informal retailers. We are building a digital-first operating system for informal retailers, initially focusing on B2B distribution but quickly incorporating other tools and services to help communities across Africa get more for less.
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Reporting into: Branch Warehouse Manager
About the Role
Fulfilment at Wasoko is a fun, fast-paced, agile and people-focused business. We believe in the motto "We win through our people."
You will support and manage the Logistics team members in a branch, ensuring they have everything they need to achieve and maintain their optimal level of performance. At the same time, you will ensure that operational activities are in line with profit and cost targets, SOP and company policies.
This is a challenging role where you will have the opportunity to grow your career and be part of a strong team.
You must enjoy being part of a dedicated team working together to make a difference in the lives of our customers and employees in relevant and memorable ways.
If you are looking for a change and ready to make a difference ... we are looking for you.
Direct Reports: 3
If this sounds like a team you would like to join… Keep reading.
- Ability to communicate at all levels
- Ability to manage change processes
- You are able to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Demonstrates an exceptional level of resourcefulness, creativity, ingenuity, and empathy
- Subject matter expert in troubleshooting and solving complex or process-related inventory management issues
- Experience to build a fulfilment centre with world-class safety and health policies, procedures, standards and culture
- Knowledge of best practices in managing B2B or B2C inbound, outbound, sortation and QC teams and processes in a scale business environment..
You are a leader. Your top priority is to make sure all Logistics employees at the branch have what they need to do their tasks 110% of the time
- What tool(s) do they need to function?
- Do they have any blockages? Help them to remove these blockages
- Compliance? Policy, SOPs and work instructions are aligned to the operations
- Self-service data? Empower them to make decisions based on data while they do their jobs
- Simplify the way our employees work - the goal is to get more for less (efficiency, productivity, etc.)
Ensure operational KPIs are met and exceeded and the business has visibility on the performance of the branch
- Drive teams to achieve consistent delivery in full on time (DIFOT)
- Ensure inventory accuracy and receivables are maintained above 99% of the time
- Live by the principle of "The Customer is King" to ensure world-class customer service
- Optimize fulfilment centre costs per order - invest in continuous improvements to increase warehouse picker efficiency and reduce cost per pick, and forward plan to sweat vehicles as much as possible on every trip
- All warehouse locations and their capacities are accurately updated in the WMS, with all necessary notifications to upstream and downstream customers made in a timely manner and feedback provided to stakeholders almost immediately when changes occur to avoid overstocks, stock-outs or dead inventory
- Assist all inventory movement staff and the inventory team in assessing inventory inaccuracies and recommend corrective actions needed to support continuous process improvement and operational excellence
- Conduct employee performance appraisals, individual development plans, and succession plans to ensure business continuity
- Invest time in training a new generation of strong people ready to take on new challenges and opportunities while maintaining the same level of excellence in execution
- Create and foster an environment that promotes integrity, accountability and a winning attitude while providing a safety net for our employees to thrive, have fun and grow.
- Ability to lead, coach and train employees
- Exceptional organisational and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple projects
- Goal-oriented, assertive and a practical problem solver
- Degree in the Supply chain, Transport & Logistics, Business Operations, Business Administration, or similar. An Advanced diploma in the same with at least 3 years of experience in last-mile logistics can be considered
- You have in-depth knowledge of last mile logistics (transport best practices and processes - prior experience working with Manhattan or equivalent highly desirable).