Position: Technology Officer
Organisation: African Parks, Greater Kafue Landscape Ltd
Reporting to: Special Projects Manager
African Parks is a non-profit conservation organization founded in 2000 that manages 22 National Parks and protected areas in 11 countries covering over 17 million hectares. This is achieved through long-term agreements with national governments, putting in place funding solutions and establishing good governance and management to achieve ecological, social and financial sustainability.
Under the direct supervision of the Special Projects Manager, the Technology officer will maintain, fix and manage the VHF radio network, LoRa network, Internet management, and solar instillations for the Greater Kafue Landscape LTD.
- Hardware instillations and maintenance of
- Ensure that the backbone and all connected equipment is fully operational. This includes power equipment, radio repeaters, LoRa gateways and monitoring devices.
- VHF network management, including repeaters, Motorola, TRBOnet
- LoRa network management, including gateways, devices, server, including the coordination with LE and Field Operations on compliance as regards to the implementation of tracking devices
- Internet connection management to ensure the best possible user experience where work applications are prioritised. This includes site routers, WiFi access points and wired network points.
- Equipment stock /inventory management, including spare equipment
- Management of specialized LE equipment, incl. sat comms, NVG, etc.
- 5-year replacement schedule for all technology equipment/hardware
- Coordination of renewable energy development.
- Ensure fully operational control room hardware and systems.
- Anti-virus and Windows update management
- VLAN, Unifi, Mikrotik management
- Manage all radios in radio dispatcher application (TRBOnet)
Important to note: The Prospective Candidate Must:
- Be someone who is physically fit.
- Un afraid of heights as this person will be expected to climb radio towers to repair and replace components.
- Be un afraid of wildlife and be willing to live and at times camp remotely in the wild with no access to running water or bathroom facilities.
- Be a team player
- Experience in the conservation sector will be an advantage
- Degree in computer science, computer systems administration or similar will be an advantage
- At least 5 years’ experience in IT and network management
- Demonstrable experience in IT maintenance and repairs
- Demonstrable experience on managing networks and PTP antennas
- Basic knowledge of digital radio systems
- Basic experience in GIS/Esri will be an advantage
- Strong personal integrity and dependability
- Computer Literacy.
- Fluent in English languages relevant to park operations
African Parks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applicants for this position must have a clean record and traceable references. Candidates must include a day time contact number.
Interested and qualified candidates must submit their CV with a covering letter describing their suitability for the role. All applicants must include at least 2 contactable references, along with certified copies of NRC and relevant Qualifications.
Application must be submitted to the Regional Human Resources Manager, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 April 2023
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview. GKLL reserves the right not to employ.