At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
To supervise the weighing, sorting and grading of scrap metal for recycling, disposal or resale.
The holder of this position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Budget compilation and the associated budget control/management skills
- Display a strong ability to identify materials that would be of economic and environmental benefit for adaptation, recycling and resale.
- Cost control skills
- Strong innovative and technical mindset with the ability to “re-invent, re-cycle, re-use and make a plan”
- Good labour management skills.
- A strong ability to observe and enforce all safety and environmental precautions for protection against accidents with emphasis on the assessment and abatement of hazardous materials
- Perform salvage operations with due care, making the best efforts to minimize costs
- Must be able to evaluate the condition of the scrap and determine whether it can be resold or used for parts.
- Responsible for maintaining an accurate inventory of materials and parts in the yard.
- Keep track of what parts are available, their condition, and where they are located in the yard.
- Must have knowledge of how to safely and efficiently remove valuable parts from scrap.
- Must be willing to keep the yard clean and organized, and must pay attention to safety.
- Responsible for maintaining equipment and vehicles, as well as cleaning up spills and debris
- Responsible for selling parts to customers, either in person or online. Incumbent must be able to accurately price parts and negotiate with customers
- Other duties as directed by the Superintendent of Operations.
Minimum of a Full Grade 12 certificate
Relevant Degree in Engineering or any Technical Discipline
Candidate should be multi-Skilled with a good knowledge of Mechanical equipment, Electrical equipment, Engineering and Building materials.
- Bold initiative
- Thinking safely
- Upholding quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving quantity
- Driving Attendance
- Valid driver’s license – Manual
- Exposure to dust, heat, noise and chemicals
- Ability to work and effectively communicate with various levels of management and Mines Safety Department personnel.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- An eye for detail and the ability to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Able to work in a dynamic team environment.
- Methodical approach to everyday tasks and problem-solving.
- Computer Literacy
- If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
- If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.