Duties and Responsibilities
The Civil Engineer will design, plan, and supervise the construction of infrastructure projects such as buildings, pipelines, water, and sewage systems.
Where applicable, directs and oversees junior or subordinate staff members regarding construction, operations, and/or maintenance tasks and assignments at a project site.
- Consults with and provide guidance to project stakeholders and managerial staff regarding engineering requirements for the construction of various designs, modifications, and structural repairs.
- Uses design software and drawing tools to accurately render and communicate designs; plans and designs other necessary and related systems and structures such as transportation or hydraulics.
- Assesses strength of foundations, concrete, asphalt, or steel by testing materials and soil.
- Sets design specifications by computing load and grade requirements, material stress factors, water flow rates, and similar parameters.
- Plans projects based on the analysis of relevant materials such as drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, survey reports, maps, and other geologic and topographical data.
- Drafts and presents reports on topics related to projects such as environmental impact statements and right-of-way descriptions.
- Estimates materials, equipment, and labor needed to determine project costs.
- Collaborates with architects and contractors to ensure projects progress properly.
- Collaborates with surveyors (or directs and participates in surveying) to establish installations or reference points, grades, elevations, and other factors that will affect construction.
- Monitors project progress and ensures design specifications, safety, and sanitation standards are met.
- On completion of a project, inspects, repairs, and maintains the structures as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Thorough understanding of civil engineering principles, practices, and tools.
- Proficient in computer-assisted design (CAD) and other design, data recording, and analyzation software.
- Thorough understanding of materials, methods, and tools involved in the construction or repair of buildings and other related structures.
- Thorough understanding of safety regulations related to assigned projects.
- Ability to identify and solve complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to be both creative and analytical.
- Extremely detail-oriented and accurate
Education and Experience:
- 3-5 years of practical experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Member of EIZ