This is a unique opportunity to work with an innovative and ambitious organization that sells solar lights at scale across Zambia, bringing electricity through solar to rural households and reducing reliance on candles and fuels such as kerosene.
SunnyMoney is a social enterprise, wholly owned by SolarAid, an innovative, fast-growing organization working in Malawi and Zambia which focuses on business-based solutions to poverty. Our goal is to eradicate kerosene lamps in Africa by the end of the decade. For all countries, this means a substantial scaling up of operations. We believe our goal is achievable by creating a genuine solar lighting market by ensuring anyone can gain access to clean, safe reliable and affordable energy. We have begun to reach this goal by selling over 2 million lights across Africa and over 300,000 in Zambia.
We are looking for a hard-working, quick thinking and enthusiastic Programme Assistant who can assist the Programme Manager with managing the various programmes at SunnyMoney. This would include supporting project design, operational planning and implementation. The successful candidate will be creative, and adaptive, follow high standards of ethics and be able to work independently as well as in a team.
Skills and Qualifications
- University degree in Development Studies, Environmental Education, Social Sciences or any related fields, with at least 1-2 years of relevant work experience.
- College Diploma in any related field with at least 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience working with solar renewable energy and PicoSolar, rural development, resource mobilization and project management.
- Experience and the ability to write high-quality reports.
- Experience working on donor-funded projects.
- Ability to work with and communicate effectively with people from different education, economic and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to set work plans and meet deadlines.
- Well-organized and detail-oriented.
- Able to work well under pressure and multitask
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Able to manage the flow of information and communicate with a diverse array of people
- Effective time management and planning
- Good IT skills in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Passion and enthusiasm for SunnyMoney’s social goal and the work it does.
- Desirable: speak some local Languages – Lozi, Tonga and Bemba
- Clean Driver’s License of at least 2 years needed
- Support Programme Manager in managing and overseeing Grants and other projects under SunnyMoney Zambia.
- Ensure project activities are implemented according to the project timeline and milestones;
- Assisting in developing regular project reports for donors, trip reports and regular updates on various projects.
- Preparing project presentations to update the Programme Manager.
- Document project phases and milestones reached and delayed.
- Keep the Programme Workplan updated according to the project activities and timeframes.
Partnership & Stakeholder Management
- Attend sector/ industry and partnership meetings on behalf of the Programme Manager.
- Communicate to SunnyMoney partners as and when required.
- Planning and setting up stakeholder/ partnerships meetings as and when required.
- Complete tasks and monitor the schedule to ensure you are on track
- Delivery of scheduled reports to necessary parties
- Document costs of activities and stick to the budget where necessary
- Perform any other duty as required
- Working hours from 0800 – 1700 Monday through Friday, weekends as needed.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, please verify that you have all of the qualifications and skills before sending in your CV. Please highlight your previous experience working with project management, report writing and resource mobilization. Please ensure that your cover letter is no more than 1 page and your CV is no more than 3 pages in length and that you only send it through one time to the email address below. Please put “Programme Assistant Position” in the subject line. Only short-listed people will be contacted.