About The Opportunity
The Digital Rights Specialist will offer technical assistance to Internews’ Zambia Open Spaces project partners and beneficiaries: media houses, civil society organizations, government institutions and parastatals, and local communities. They will lead, develop and implement activities promoting Digital Rights in the country: connectivity, data protection, privacy, cybercrime and cybersecurity, IT laws, AI, etc. This will include training, advocacy, roundtables, review and writing of legal documents, among other activities. They will collaborate closely with the Program Manager, the Digital Coordinator and occasionally the Chief of Party.
This role is based in our country program office in Lusaka, Zambia.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a limited duration position, with an expected term of one year.
Our commitment to fostering a culture of belonging:
- We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Program Support
- In partnership with local stakeholders, develop strategies to promote digital rights in Zambia, and design activities to meet objectives.
- Provide technical support to the project team, project partners and beneficiaries, and the Government of Zambia to promote digital rights that meet international standards in Zambia.
- Lead the implementation of digital rights activities. This will include trainings, advocacy events and one-on-one engagements, roundtables, media campaigns, information and communication products, among other activities.
- Support relevant Government Departments and Ministries with technical support for the review, adoption, and/or amendment of digital laws not currently aligned to international frameworks.
- Publish policy briefs, position papers and advocacy materials to use in advocacy of digital rights.
- Support and convene multi-stakeholder meeting of players in the digital space in Zambia.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with a wide range of individuals and organizations.
- Support the monitoring of project implementation, including but not limited to collecting documentation and data for evaluation and reporting.
- In all duties, demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Communications and Outreach:
- Contribute to the Digital Rights related media content of the Open Spaces project (produced by Internews trained journalists and local partners).
- Support the project partners in their Digital Rights program outreach efforts.
- Ensure that the Open Spaces project is represented in digital rights networks and forums.
Research, Documentation & Reporting:
- Support research initiatives, including but not limited to collating resource materials and references.
- Lead some research and publications as agreed with the Chief of Party.
- Ensure timely and proper documentation of Digital Rights events, including photos, videos, presentations, and written notes.
- Assist in monitoring the Digital Rights activities of partners, collaborators, and networks.
- Collect, compile and file materials related to Digital Rights training and other Open Spaces Zambia project related initiatives.
- Support the preparation of narrative reports by providing the Digital Rights inputs.
Qualifications we’re looking for:
- Professional-level fluency in English.
- A Bachelor’s degree and/or a Master’s degree in media studies, law, social sciences, international human rights OR equivalent lived/professional experience.
- Strong thematic expertise in Digital Rights (connectivity, data protection, privacy, cybercrime and cybersecurity, IT laws, AI, etc.) and journalist safety.
- Experience in Digital Rights training, including experience developing training curriculum.
- Experience with the selection and use of digital rights-related software (including secure communication tools) and equipment for individuals or organizations.
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills.
- Ability to multi-task and proven organizational skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Practical experience in establishing and operating participatory training programs.
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, a good problem-solver, good-humored and flexible.
- Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply:
- Experience working in Africa and experience working on digital rights related issues in Africa a significant plus.
- Experience with the administrative systems of international NGOs is preferred.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: