About The Opportunity
The ATI (Access to Information) Advisor offers technical assistance as Zambia works towards the enactment of the Access to Information law. The Open Spaces Zambia project’s Access to Information advocacy work and support to the Ministry of Information will be spearheaded by the ATI Advisor, who will collaborate closely with the Programs Manager, the Senior Media Lawyer and occasionally the Chief of Party.
Ultimately, this role will be based in Internews’ country program office in Lusaka, Zambia.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a limited term position with an expected term of one year.
Our commitment to fostering a culture of belonging:
- We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Day-To-Day Tasks will include:
- Program Support, Facilitation & Skill-Building:
- Train civil society and advocate for Access to Information.
- Build skills of relevant officials to assist government in adopting the Access to Information law.
- Assist Open Spaces and project partners to advocate for Access to Information.
- In all duties, a demonstrated understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Research, Documentation & Reporting:
- Conduct research on Access to Information laws.
- Produce advocacy and learning materials on policy briefs on Access to
- Information, exceptions in Access to Information and implementation of ATI.
- Provide analysis and reports on Access to Information to Open Spaces.
- Review ATI draft laws and make recommendations based on a human rights framework.
- Organize civil society and government conventions.
Qualifications We’re Looking for:
- Professional-level fluency in English.
- A degree in human rights, development, law, media/journalism, or equivalent lived/professional experience.
- Understanding of and/or experience in Access to Information advocacy and Freedom of Expression laws.
- Thematic expertise in digital rights and journalist rights, experience in threat modeling for different populations and operating environments preferred.
- Experience with or knowledge of the African Union and global laws on Access to Information.
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills.
- Ability to multi-task and proven organizational skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Experience with NGOs’ advocacy work and media advocacy an added advantage.
- Practical experience in training programs on Access to Information and human rights.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: