John Snow Health Zambia Limited
USAID Controlling HIV Epidemic for Key and Underserved Populations (CHEKUP II)
Department/Unit: Technical, Priority Populations Unit
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Duration: Full-Time position
Reports to: Technical Director, Priority Populations
John Snow Health Limited (JSH), a public health organization dedicated to improving the provision of public health services in Zambia and the region, is recruiting for an Advisor – Social and Behavioural Change for the USAID-funded Controlling HIV Epidemic for Key and Underserved Populations (CHEKUP II). CHEKUP II aims to address the needs of people living with HIV (PLHIV) and those most at risk of acquiring HIV and contribute to HIV mitigation and epidemic control. In addition, the program seeks to improve the health outcomes of priority populations in the highest HIV-burden provinces of Zambia.
The Senior Advisor-Social and Behavioural Change provides strategic, technical and programmatic support to the USAID CHEKUP II Activity in the area of social and behavioural change and demand generation in the activity focus areas. This full-time position is based in Lusaka, Zambia, supervised by the Technical Director – Priority Populations.
- Provides strategic, technical and programmatic support to all Activity areas related to Social and Behavioural Change Communication.
- Provide capacity development to other project staff on SBC in general. Particularly district-based SBC-Social Mobilisation Officers.
- Develop evidence and knowledge and dissemination of SBC and demand generation.
- Working collaboratively with other project staff, facilitating policy dialogue and technical representation in national-level SBC-related areas.
- Effectively programme and project result-based management according to the project-based SBC interventions.
- Effectively manage relationships with the government and other partners.
- Develop the USAID CHEKUP II strategic direction, mainly focusing on the project’s focus areas.
- Support timely and quality implementation of annual work plans for USAID CHEKUP II.
- Identify critical gaps in knowledge and understanding and promising and innovative SBC-related approaches, and contribute to developing strategies to test and document effectiveness.
- Facilitate the development of SBC-related strategies consistent with basic SBC principles and incorporate innovative, multi-faceted delivery channels.
- Work with advertising/creative agencies to develop and produce campaign materials and products for project sites.
- Oversee the implementation of targeted SBC campaigns in project districts.
- Lead the development and adaptation of context-specific SBC-related messaging and training materials.
- Implement and adhere to JSH’s personnel, financial, operations and fraud management policies.
- Other duties as assigned by the Technical Director – Priority Populations consistent with the project objectives.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in health promotion and communication, international public health, behavioural science or other social science.
- Five years of progressive relevant SBC, HIV/AIDS, capacity-building experience, working with government entities, UN agencies, the private sector, NGOs and the MOH Health promotions unit highly desirable.
- Demonstrated success in applying behavioural change theory and approaches in applied field settings and the context of multi-sectoral strategies.
- Experience engaging with USAID-funded initiatives is highly desirable.
- International experience is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills.
- Knowledge and experience in designing and implementing evidence-based behavioural science approaches, including human-centred design.
- Strategic thinker, strong team player, able to deliver results without close supervision.
- Demonstrated success in managing the development of graphic and other communication products to support behavioural change.
- Proficiency in MS Office and internet applications.
Supervision and Reporting:
The Senior Advisor – SBC will work under the guidance and supervision of the Technical Director – Priority Populations.
Method of Application
To apply, please complete the application form available HERE. In addition, applicants must submit a cover letter and CV with three references, full addresses, and contact information via the application form.
Please note that you do not need to apply if you meet the minimum requirements. Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be contacted. If you are still waiting to hear from us within three weeks of closing, kindly assume that your application was unsuccessful.
John Snow Health Zambia, Limited is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions.