Lubambe Copper Mine is located within the Greater Konkola Area of the Zambian Copperbelt and consists of a large–scale mining license covering an area of approximately 228 square kilometres.
Completed and commissioned in 2012, Lubambe is an underground operation supported by a shaft and decline access with a 2.5 million tonne per annum capacity ore concentrator. The mine’s current depth is 450 meters producing a high-grade copper concentrate which is then treated at Zambian smelters.
The mine currently employs 770 direct employees and a further 1,800 contractors. It places the highest priority on safety with a world-class safety system.
Supporting local communities and suppliers is a key business focus of the mine.
EMR Capital owns an 80% controlling interest in Lubambe while ZCCM-IH owns 20%.
The Mine seeks to employ an experienced and qualified individual in the following position:
This position reports to the Environmental & Occupational Hygiene Superintendent.
Core Purpose of the Position:
- To be responsible for ensuring effective implementation and adherence to environmental standards and guidelines applicable to the mining operations. This includes implementation and adherence to environmental legislation requirements and conditions as outlined in the Environmental Authorizations.
Key Performance Areas/Indicators (KPA/Is):
- Conducting Audits, inspections and coaching in order to ensure compliance to company’s environmental management standards and statutory licence conditions.
- Conducting environmental monitoring programmes and recommend measures to mitigate non-compliance.
- Conducting awareness programmes on environmental management.
- Supervising and conducting performance audits for contractors that are engaged in environmental management related activities.
- Compiling environmental management reports for internal and external communication.
- Developing and reviewing procedures for environmental management and monitoring.
- Carry out ESMP review and audit committed actions.
- Ensuring environmental regulations are complied with.
- Liaising with site teams, clients, stakeholders and the wider environmental team.
- Managing legislative issues for site, including planning for Licenses and Permits.
- Conducting Environmental Impact Assessments.
- Interpreting data and writing detailed Environmental & Sustainability reports.
- Keeping up-to-date with the most recent changes in environmental law & regulations.
- Creating & updating waste management plans.
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree / Diploma in Environmental Management related programme obtained from a reputable institution (Environmental Engineering/Science, Metallurgy, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and related fields).
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in environmental management related jobs.
- Relevant Environmental Short courses.
- Knowledge of Occupational Hygiene & Radiation Management will be an added advantage.
- Presentation and facilitation skills.
Method of Application
Applicants who meet the above requirements are invited to send their Curriculum Vitae in MS word format to this email. Please indicate the job title of the role you are applying for in the subject line of your e-mail.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.