Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
The Business Development Monitoring and Evaluation Officer oversees two critical function areas under the Women’s Economic Empowerment Project , He/She oversees the business development and organizational capacity building of District Women’s Associations, Area Groups and women enterprises to ensure the development of business plans , training on business skills and facilitation of key business ventures at the association area, group and individual levels. He/She also develop and oversees the implementation of business plans, organizational capacity building plans, business skills training and supporting linkages for development of businesses and enterprises.
The second key function area is to lead the planning, monitoring and evaluation activities of the project overseeing the development of the project MELs plans, implementing Heifer Internationals MELs package and responsibility for developing , monitoring and reporting on all aspects of the projects MELs work.
Essential Character Traits:
- Behave ethically; communicate effectively; creativity/Innovation; foster teamwork: compassion; generosity; humility, openness, conscientiousness, and extraversion.
Responsibilities & Deliverables
A. Develop, manage, and implement the key project monitoring learning and evaluation package of activities (40%):
- Develop the overall framework and calendar (PM&E guidelines and procedures), for project M&E activities including the MELs framework, Indicate References sheets.
- Guide the project’s data collection and monitoring activities and support key surveys to establish and track projects progress in addressing the living income goals and targets.
- Lead the key project monitoring and evaluation processes working with consultants in key evaluation processes.
- Establish a functional monitoring and evaluation system that tracks data on beneficiaries and impact at the association, area, group and individual level for all project beneficiaries.
- Facilitate the generation of quarterly, biannual and annual reports.
- Guide staff and executing partners in preparing their progress reports in accordance with approved reporting formats and ensure their timely submission.
- Undertake regular visits to the field to support implementation of M&E and to identify where adaptations might be needed.
- A functional M&E system in place.
B. Business planning and capacity building of farmer organizations, associations Cooperative members, community members to drive the establishment and operation of viable and profitable enterprises (50%):
- Conduct business and viability assessments and develop business plans for partners (SHGs/Producer, District Farmers’ Association, Cooperatives/Associations, public and private sectors).
- Develop and implement a business skills development and capacity building plans for associations, areas and group members.
- Facilitate key linkage activities to support access to finance and the establishment of value addition, processing and marketing enterprises.
- Business plans developed and operational for key district associations, areas and groups.
- Business skills transfer for associations, areas and groups.
- Functional income generating enterprises established at key district associations, areas and groups.
- Financial access, access to markets and functional partnerships established to support key enterprises.
- Organized exchange/peer learning visits every semester.
- Established, functional and dynamic cooperatives or Producer Groups.
- C. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (10%):
- Written and submitted high-quality reports periodically. Delivered as assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness , Business Administration, Project Management plus at least 5 years’ experience of rural development work.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Agribusiness ,Agricultural Economics and Project Management and any related science from recognized institutions.
- Practical Project Monitoring and Evaluation experience.
- Practical Business Development experience with farmer business organizations.
- Capacity-building experience in organizational development and business skills.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Good analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Business Development, Analysis and Business Planning skills.
- Capacity Assessment and Organizational capacity building skills
- Demonstrated ability to implement a logical framework approach or other strategic planning approaches.
- Demonstrated ability of facilitating learning-oriented analysis sessions of M&E data with multiple stakeholders, information analysis and report writing
- A good understanding and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger and environment, and knowledge of the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- The computer is proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail software.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated written and oral fluency in English.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to establish priorities and work with minimum supervision.
- Excellent facilitation skills.
- Computer literate in the use of common packages for word processing and excel.
- Licensed driver
- Ability to travel away from home at short notice and for long periods.
- Flexible and able to work independently to meet deadlines.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues
- and stakeholders.
- Fluent in English and Chewa/Nyanja.
- Commitment to organizational goals and vision of Heifer Zambia.
- Mature and ability to resolve group conflicts.
- Sensitive to social issues such as gender and HIV/AIDS.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: