Business Line and Group: International Development, Economic Policy and Governance (EP&G)
Position Location: Remote/Worldwide
Nathan is a leading provider of analytic and economic consultancy services worldwide. In the past decade, we have implemented more than 120 projects in more than 50 countries leveraging our global presence in Washington DC, London, and India. From improved transparency and deeper stakeholder engagement to more effective policies and more resilient businesses, we deliver results that impact economic growth, human development, and poverty reduction. We are passionate about applying our deep analytical expertise and advanced proprietary tools to generate economic solutions tailored to our clients’ unique challenges. Nathan focuses on a range of economic development subject matter areas including Trade & Logistics; Economic Policy & Governance; Private Sector Development; Women’s Economic Empowerment; and Financial Solutions.
Nathan is a leading provider of analytic and economic consultancy services worldwide. In the past decade, we have implemented more than 120 projects in more than 50 countries leveraging our global presence in Washington DC, London, and India. From improved transparency and deeper stakeholder engagement to more effective policies and more resilient businesses, we deliver results that impact economic growth, human development, and poverty reduction.
Nathan is implementing the USAID Zambia Revenue for Growth Project (R4G). R4G supports the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) in its efforts to improve domestic revenue mobilization and expand fiscal space for public spending and investments in service delivery and poverty reduction. R4G engages both government and non-government stakeholders to build capacity in tax policy analysis, improve tax compliance and administration, and strengthen the tax culture in a manner that facilitates private sector growth and accountability relationships between taxpayers and the GRZ.
MoH Background Information:
To help operationalize the Ministry of Health (MOH)’s Health Care Financing Strategy 2017 – 2027, R4G is supporting the MOH to explore innovative health financing approaches and strategies that have been shown to be effective in other Low and Middle Income Countries in the mobilization of additional resources for the health sector. Evidence suggests that targeting risky behaviors that affect health and pose a huge financial burden to the health system is an effective public policy measure. Introduction of ‘health taxes’ on products that have a negative public health impact (e.g., taxes on tobacco, alcohol, sugar-sweetened beverages) in the short to medium term to mitigate the health impacts of these products’ use and to raise additional revenue. Further health care financing strategies to be explored include a medical levy, fuel levy, and a motor vehicle accident fund. It is expected that these activities will increase and accelerate the development of knowledge and capacity to generate revenue for health in Zambia.
Nathan is seeking a short-term Health Care Financing (HCF) Advisor to conduct the tasks described below. The HCF Advisor will work with staff from R4G and the MOH to model the impact of various financing options on revenue generation, health promotion and utilization. Specific tasks to be performed are as follows.
1. In addition to the identified revenue generation strategies (i.e. taxes on tobacco, alcohol, sugar-sweetened beverages, fuel levy, medical levy, and a motor vehicle accident fund), suggest other potential mechanisms for financing health care in Zambia.
2. Identify and acquire necessary data needed to conduct a robust forecast of potential revenue that can be expected (in the short, medium, and long term) if each of the specified financing options were to be introduced in Zambia.
3. Using an established forecasting methodology, perform a forecasting exercise detailing the steps and assumptions made to quantify the amount of tax revenue that would be generated from each financing option.
4. Describe the strengths and limitations of the various financing options and their implications for revenue generation and health promotion and utilization.
5. Design and deliver a short training on revenue forecasting methodologies and implementation to R4G and MOH staff.
6. Produce and submit a final report to R4G and a detailed research report not exceeding 30 pages (excluding appendices). The report should include a brief introduction, a clear description of the forecast methods used and detailed results.
7. Produce a PowerPoint presentation to present the main findings, conclusions and recommendations of the research report that can be used in a public discussion.
All tasks will be conducted remotely unless otherwise agreed. This activity is projected to start in mid- to late August 2022 and run for an initial period of up to 21 work days. The timing and payment of the deliverables will be agreed with the candidate selected for this position. The HCF Advisor will report to R4G’s staff MoH Advisor. This position is open to Zambian and non-Zambian residents.
Qualifications & Skills:
The HCF Advisor is expected to possess the following qualifications and skills:
Method of Application
Qualified candidates are requested to submit:
1) a preliminary outline of how the tasks described above will be conducted, including the specific forecasting method and datasets to be used;
2) a detailed CV clearly stating prior experience on similar tasks;
3) a detailed budget for the tasks to be performed to the email address below.
Please include “R4G HCF Advisor” in the subject line. Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls, please.