At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose: to be responsible for the effective and efficient operation of all process areas to maximize production and minimize costs, while ensuring operational sustainability. Direct accountability for performance of the shift operators and assistant operators. The role has a focus on minute-hourly-daily basis.
Specific Job Responsibility
- The role has field equipment and operations personnel accountability for the crushing, grinding, flotation, thickening, reagents, ancillaries, OSA systems and all associated areas.
- Understand and execute accountabilities of legal appointment under Zambian Mining Regulations.
- Demonstrate high commitment to safety, and ensure strong compliance to Safety and Environmental Management systems by shift teams.
- Drive the site equipment, people and processes to maximize production.
- Monitor and control all plant parameters to exceed the main plant KPI’s of throughput, recovery and product quality.
- Coordinate real-time plant feed rate and ore quality with Mine/Geology teams.
- Understand and pre-empt ore attribute impacts on plant performance to optimize plant control responses.
- Ensure equipment is operated within defined operating strategies and procedures.
- Ensure high utilization of the plant ‘expert’ control system and other critical control loops.
- Assist with oversight of major plant shutdowns, maintenance activities and start-ups.
- Coach shift personnel, particularly control room operators in the drive for operational excellence.
- Implement a training strategy and ensure the team is trained as required.
- Identify and report training opportunities for the team to superiors.
- Understand impacts of decisions (production, quality, cost & risk) to constantly deliver optimum business solutions.
- Always be contactable and be able to report detailed plant performance status.
- Maintain a high level of field presence.
- Conduct detailed handovers.
- Ensure high housekeeping and safety standards.
- Compliance to HSE requirements and reporting/correcting defects and unsafe conditions to superiors.
- Ensure all incidents are reported promptly.
- Ensure that start-up and shutdown procedures in all areas of milling are executed safely and promptly.
- Support maintenance in the delivery of their tasks.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies
- Excellent time management, planning and organizational skills.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to coach train others.
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Office).
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
- Strong understanding of SHEC regulations.
Key Job Attributes
- Strong commitment to SHEC performance.
- Very strong drive and personal sense of equipment ownership and accountability.
- Willingness to learn and progress, open minded to various challenges.
- Able to work in a team environment.
- A positive and mature attitude, sense of initiative.
- Passionate, enthusiastic and pro-active.
- Persistent, diligent and thorough approach.
- Experience required to perform in this job
- Minimum 7 years of prior experience in operating a wet processing plant.
- Minimum 5 years’ previous supervisory experience in a flotation plant.
- Prior experience in plant commissioning and plant ramp up desirable.
- Experience in a large, complex base metals processing plant(s) is a plus.
- Full grade twelve (G12) certificate.
- A Diploma in Process Engineering, Mineral Processing or related field is highly regarded.
- EIZ membership eligibility.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: