At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose: to be responsible for the effective and efficient field operation of all flotation and concentrate thickening circuit up to the tailings/filtering circuits to maximize production and minimize costs, while ensuring operational sustainability. The role has a focus on minute-hourly-daily basis.
Specific Job Responsibility:
- The role has field equipment accountability from the flotation feed surge tank, all flotation cells, concentrate dewatering, reagents, sampling, OSA systems and all associated equipment.
- Carry out thorough pre-start checks, equipment inspections, adjustments and cleaning.
- Maintain high housekeeping and safety standards.
- Compliance to HSE requirements and reporting/correcting defects and unsafe conditions to the supervisor.
- Ensure all incidents are reported promptly.
- Ensure that start-up and shutdown procedures in all areas of flotation are executed safely and promptly.
- Operate equipment according to procedures given in the operating strategies and instructions.
- Deliver and exceed the KPI’s of flotation recovery, concentrate quality, flotation and reagent dosing system utilization, concentrate moisture and specification and routine work compliance.
- Conduct all routine tasks, including field check-sheets and equipment inspections in a timely and accurate manner.
- Diagnose plant defects and ensure they are immediately addressed.
- Identify equipment that requires correction and immediately escalate to superiors.
- Support maintenance in the delivery of their tasks.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Strong commitment to SHEC performance.
- Basic understanding of mechanical and instrumentational equipment.
- Very strong drive and personal sense of equipment ownership and accountability.
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Key Job Attributes:
- Willingness to learn and progress, open mind to various challenges.
- Attention to detail and time management skills.
- Able to work in a team environment.
- A positive and mature attitude, sense of initiative.
- Passionate, enthusiastic and pro-active in manner.
- Persistent, diligent and through approach.
- Physically fit, as the role is physically demanding at times.
Experience required to perform in this job:
- Minimum 3 years of prior experience in operating a wet processing plant in particularly flotation circuit (nickel and/or talc flotation experience is highly regarded).
- Exposure to online analysers (MSA, OSA, PSI, etc.).
- Prior experience in plant commissioning and plant ramp up desirable.
- Experience in a large, complex base metals processing plant(s) is a plus.
- Full grade twelve (G12) certificate.
- Certificate in metallurgy, chemical engineering, mineral processing or related field.
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE
Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: