At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
The Business Optimisation Superintendent role is aimed at supporting the data driven business improvement and optimisation of the Sentinel Operations by leading a team of BI specialists, data engineers and business analysts
This specific job requisition is looking for a role with exposure to Mining and/or Process activities.
Specific Job Responsibility:
General responsibilities include:
- Identify areas of improvement and improve upon existing improvement models including cost
- Set up the Business Improvement framework, with training and engagement to deliver on key site activities.
- Provide leadership and guidance in continuous improvement across Health/Safety/Environment, People/Culture, Volume/Performance, and Cost/Revenue
- Supervise a team of engineers and analysts in carrying out business improvement projects
The role specific responsibilities are:
- Oversee the development, operation and maintenance of Business Improvement systems, standards, and procedures;
- Lead Continuous Improvement Projects by planning, leading and facilitating improvement projects including Six Sigma and LEAN (Kaïzens) or any mixed methodology within the project pipeline.
- Develop and manage Operational Technology Roadmap
- Oversee the mine’s plan to transition to a data-driven decision making site through implementation of BI tools
- Ensure the respective Management Plans align with Sentinel’s goals, objectives and vision.
- Provide strategic advice to the senior management team in respect of their area of responsibility.
- Engage with key stakeholders to drive buy-in, ideas and solutions
- Find opportunities to improve efficiency and reduce cost that will impact metrics in actuals, forecasts, and budgets, such as BCM/OpHr, $/meter drilled, operating efficiency, or $/bcm blasted, $/tonne milled, power consumption, reagent consumption, recovery improvement, concentrate quality improvement.
- Report on realized benefits, business objectives, and validate that recognized gains are calculated on a standardized basis
Job Specific Competencies:
- Understanding of business, cost drivers and levers for improvement
- Strong ability to task assign, build working relations and coordinate different operating disciplines to create a multidisciplinary “team” environment;
- Excellent cognitive and analytical skills for identifying process shortfalls, equipment bottlenecks and implementing corrective and preventative action plans;
- Strong understanding of technical, production and maintenance strategies for a mining and processing operation;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to perform under pressure.
Key Job Attributes:
- Ability to balance assertiveness and cooperation to optimise relationships with various stakeholders.
- A structured approach to work organisation.
- Driven personality, able to take initiative and manage self.
- Inquisitive spirit.
Experience Required to Perform in This Job:
- Minimum 5 years of experience with responsibilities in an operational environment with demonstrable achievement in Business Improvement through formal Business Improvement processes such as Lean Six Sigma, Kaizen etc,
- Sophisticated user of the Microsoft Suite®, in particular Excel, PowerPoint, and Power BI
- Experience with Python, SQL, and data and statistical analytics is a strong asset
- Proven success implementing change through end user and partner engagement, and sustaining results in an operationally complex business
- Experience developing business cases, and an ability to communicate through multiple mediums
- Degree in Mining/Mechanical/Process Engineering with exposure to Finance, or qualification in a related subject area
- PMP, PRINCE2 or similar project management qualification is considered beneficial
- Green belt/Black belt in lean sig sigma or similar certifications from a recognized institution.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: