The Head Internal Auditor will be responsible for performing objective, independent, and reliable assessments of the effectiveness of a bank’s risk management activities, its compliance with applicable regulations, and its internal control environment. Develops and updates auditing procedures as instructed by the Board and regulatory agencies and reports to the Board and to the Board’s Audit Committee the results of its work. Take the lead in improving the bank’s operations and ensuring it complies with major regulations by carrying out thorough assessments and improvements on the effectiveness of the bank’s control, risk management, and governance processes. Develop recommendations for improving governance, risk management, internal controls, operating efficiency, and the adequacy of Bank records and record-keeping.
Summary of Key Responsibilities;
- Provide strategic direction in the operations of Internal Audit to ensure that the Bank employs the latest internationally acceptable standards and methodologies in internal auditing.
- Make recommendations on how to improve risk management, internal controls and governance processes, and follow up and monitor the proper implementation of improvements and other audit recommendations.
- Resolving material issues with senior management, reporting audit results, and giving relevant recommendations
- Develop and deploy an agile and flexible internal audit function able to quickly re-orient itself to continue providing assurance in the Bank’s risk-critical areas.
- Perform financial, operational, compliance and other types of audits in accordance with relevant laws, regulations, and the Bank’s internal audit programme while considering the development of lean audit techniques to enhance efficiency.
- Acts as an advisor to bank management by developing strong knowledge and understanding of the bank’s business strategies, each of its lines of business, and the particular process or area under review. Conferring with management on issues such as the creation of monitoring techniques, risk management, and internal controls.
- Provide assurance to executive management, the Audit Committee, and the Board of Directors on the adequacy and effectiveness of the Bank’s operational and control framework including revenue assurance and asset stewardship.
- Providing assistance to assigned bank examiners and external auditors, and ensuring that their examinations are completed efficiently and promptly.
- Assisting in the training and cross-training of junior team members to help them develop the right skills to carry out the required audit coverage.
- Examine and evaluate the effectiveness and adequacy of the internal control systems
- Perform a review of the effectiveness and application of risk assessment methodologies and risk management procedures.
- Review financial and management information systems, including the electronic banking services and electronic information system
- Review financial reports and accounting records for accuracy and reliability
- Perform review of means, techniques, or methods of safeguarding assets
- Perform a review of the system applied by the bank in evaluating its capital vs estimated risk
- Assist the Board’s Audit Committee in the fulfilment of its duties and responsibilities. In that context, the Internal Auditor shall meet with the Audit Committee on a regular basis to review and discuss audit findings and other relevant matters as necessary.
- Review the Bank practices and records for compliance with established internal policies and procedures, and where applicable ensure that these are benchmarked in reference to international best practices.
- Perform evaluation of the economy and operational efficiency
- Perform tests on both the functioning of specific internal control procedures and transactions
- Review established systems for ensuring codes of conduct, compliance with regulatory and legal requirements, and the implementation of procedures and policies
- Perform special investigations, and carry out tests on the timeliness and reliability of the regulatory reporting.
- Report audit findings and recommendations to the Audit Committee and to the Board based on the results of regularly scheduled audits, non-scheduled audits, and at any time when issues need to be addressed by management.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Good Interpersonal Skills
- Excellent internal audit skills.
- Excellent Analytical Skills
- Must be Sober minded
- Strong decision-making skills
- Strong working knowledge and ability to use MS Office and other standard software application tools
- Strong aptitude for easy and quick learning of audit, analytical, or/and facilitation skills
- Excellent Mentoring and Leadership Skills
- Good Negotiating Skills
- Excellent Presentation Skills
Primary Areas of Accountability:
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in the Accounting/Finance field, or Business, Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent
- A Master’s Degree in any of the above fields is an added advantage
- Full Professional Qualification – ACCA, CIMA or CA Zambia
- Must have a minimum of 8-10 years experience in internal /external audit or Risk Management of which 4-5 years must have been with a Commercial Bank
- Must have proven understanding of internal audit process and Risk Management framework in Banking and related sectors. Deep understanding of the concept of process and risk management; and banking and auditing
- Must have a deep knowledge of the bank, its operations, procedures, and policies, including the laws and regulations which guide its operations.
- Certification in Internal Audit (Certified Internal Auditor)
- Must be a member of ZICA & Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
Method of Application
If you meet the hiring requirements for any of the above positions, please email your CV in Ms Word and Cover Letter clearly stating your salary expectations to this email:
Note that, all communications will be kept in the strictest of confidence. If you do not receive communication within 30 working days of the closing date of the advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.
DO NOT SEND CERTIFICATES AT THIS STAGE