Are you up for a challenge and looking to join a great place to work? We are looking for a Business Data Analyst to join our team. If you think that could be you, please read on.
Who are we?
VITALITE Zambia Ltd is a Zambian registered company founded in 2013. VITALITE was created to increase rural electrification and combat the poverty tax affecting low-income, energy-poor households across Zambia.
Our mission is to make quality products and services accessible and affordable to all Zambian households.
We pride ourselves on having been the first to pioneer a fully integrated pay-as-you-go (PAYGO) service in Zambia and aim to become the country’s leading rural service and distribution company.
Our team of more than 140 employees and 650 community based agents is on a mission of positive change. We service over 50,000 customers and take pride in our positive impact on their lives and their environment.
According to an independent survey of our customers (run by impact reporting agency, 60 Decibels in March 2021), 88% find we’ve very much improved their quality of life.
What’s it like to work here?
We have built a vibrant and dynamic team in which all of us are treated fairly and given equal opportunity to progress:
- We work in an emotionally safe environment within which we all have the opportunity to `fully express ourselves
- Everyone is encouraged to create a positive impact for themselves, their colleagues and our customers by taking full accountability for what we do every day.
According to an independent survey (run by global gender advisory firm, Value for Women in February 2021):
- 94% of team members feel respected by their colleagues
- 97% of team members like our mission and purpose
- 86% of team members believe men and women have equal career opportunities
- 94% of team members believe issues of sexual harassment are taken seriously here
- 89% of team members believe we encourage open and honest communications
What is the job about?:
- We are looking for a highly committed, dependable and motivated individual to join our Business
- Analytics and Risk team based in Lusaka. This position will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
- The Business Analytics Department is at the heart of leading the change for VITALITE to become
- a more data driven organization.
- The department is responsible for collection, consolidation, processing, analysis and reporting
- on a wide range of data sets, including Key Performance Indicators across the organization and
- sales and portfolio quality data on 50,000+ customers.
- This is an exciting new department within VITALITE, working closely with the Chief Operating
- Officer (COO) with the ultimate objective to operationalize the use of data for decision making
- across the organization and ensure that data in an actionable format is disseminated to internal
- and external stakeholders to enable teams to effectively monitor their performance and make
- decisions. In addition the department will provide business performance information to the COO
- used for company-wide operational performance assessment and strategic decision making.
- The Business Analyst will have a central role with a lot of opportunity to both play a key role in
- defining how VITALITE uses data, what data it needs to collect, the tool used, and drive impact
- across the organization by communicating and presenting the data to decision makers.
What does the role involve?
The successful applicant will be accountable for:
1. Business Data collection, consolidation and analysis (40% of role)
- Collect & consolidate relevant and accurate business data from a diverse range of sources
- such as extract data from raw databases (.csv files) and directly from various dashboards.
- Design and run surveys and data collection initiatives to collect additional data as needed, in
- particular around Employee, Agent, Customers and Products.
- Play a key role in helping define and map the organization’s data needs by understanding the
- roles of each department, their operative needs, KPIs and core functions
- Store, Organize and Analyze data through use of methodical and statistical methods to draw
- conclusions and produce insights
- Lead the development of standard reports design, incorporating Visual business performance
- Secondary: Contribute to production of Standard Operating Procedures and systems that
- enables departments to effectively utilize data for decision making and assist other teams with generation of new reports
2. Prepare and share reports (40% of role):
- External stakeholders: Donors, investors and funders. Understand donor, investor & funder reporting requirements. Summarize data to adequately fit various reporting requirements. Work closely with business departments to understand the correct data to be sourced. Perform the sourcing of accurate and correct data required for reporting purposes. Perform the review of received data. Perform the assistance on calculating the required data as per the provided definitions in a timely manner. Adhere to deadlines at all times and submit documentation in a timely manner.
- Internal Stakeholders: Department heads and COO. Produce and present reports for internal stakeholders both in writing and power points.
- Perform any other tasks relating to Reporting, as requested by Supervisor/ Manager.
3. Business Performance analysis and reporting (20% of role)
- Collect and Monitor business performance data and identify performance trends across
- Ensure that all business performance metrics are well & clearly defined to ensure
- data consistency across time. Ensure these metrics are reported to management on a
- monthly basis.
- Design and produce user-friendly reports visualizing business performance data and insights for internal stakeholders, in particular the COO.
- Develop strategic proposals based on the trends identified and share with directors accordingly – Respond to requests for data or reports by any department or stakeholder
- What sort of person will excel in this role?
- We are looking for someone who has strong analytical capabilities and interest in business performance management. In particular with relevant experience in working with data and Business analytics – who is familiar with collecting, consolidating, organizing and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data.
This skill set will be applied on sales, commercial, operational performance data, financial and customer data to produce business reporting, analysis of trends and patterns to drive decision making:
- Ability to understand a diverse range of data, from sales and commercial, customer, financial and operational (key performance indicators)
- Relevant background I n Data Analysis to adopt relevant statistical methodologies and tools to analyze data.
- Reporting – ability to present both qualitative and quantitative data through visual diagrams and table, along with written narratives at a high quality
- Business analysis experience is preferable – to understand how various business performance metrics affect overall business performance
University Bachelor’s degree or Master’s in Engineering, Operations, Computer science or business administration with a strong preference for Data Analytics or Industrial Engineering:
- Very strong literacy in Microsoft Office/Google suite products, in particular Microsoft Excel/Google Spreadsheet is a requirement
- Excellent English in writing and communication is a requirement
- Skills in SQL is highly preferable but not a requirement
- Strong ability to present and report information and numbers, in particular through use of diagrams, tables and written narratives
- Strong Proficiency in working with numbers, data consolidation, data control and data analysis
- Financial literacy is preferable but not a requirement
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply
Method of Application
Please email your up to date CV, copies of your Academic Qualifications and 2 references from prior employers to this email:
Incomplete applications will be disqualified so please take care to ensure you’ve included everything.