At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose:
Reporting to the Assistant Manager Technical Support, you will be responsible for assisting in establishment of preventative and responsive electrical infrastructure maintenance and development within the FQM Trident Mine lease area and TWE housing: to ensure maximum operational performance is achieved in a safe and cost effective manner while ensuring compliance with relevant procedures, policies, legal requirements and consent conditions. Your duties will include but are not limited to the following:
Specific Job Responsibility:
- The position of electrical infrastructure superintendent will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Installation of new electrical reticulation networks and systems, replacement of old, faulty or redundant electrical networks and systems as per the company and vendor’s safety and quality specifications.
- Ensure that all electrical network equipment have the correct hardware interlocking and safety parameter settings for safe and effective operation.
- Adhere to the companies planned and preventative maintenance schedules and procedures.
- Effectively maintain the electrical reticulation network equipment with the minimum effect on the process plant as well as mine wide site infrastructure networks.
Reporting and record keeping:
- Report all incidents immediately to your direct supervisor.
- Ensure that all safety and reticulation logbooks are inspected, authorized and signed according to the FQM Trident logbook procedure.
- Ensure that stock levels of electrical network equipment are maintained in the warehouse and report all defective or substandard equipment to your direct supervisor. Also ensure that the stock holding in buffer stores are controlled to a minimum, therefore not duplicating on stock holding on site.
Tools and audit:
- Maintain the correct and safe usage of all hand tools, required for the work within your section.
- Maintain the correct and safe usage of all mobile / hydraulic tools, required for the work within your section.
- Report on defective tools, record usages and control all replacement of tools.
- Ensure that all mine site electrical infrastructure drawings are kept up to date and verified for redlined updates to be submitted to the drafting company for redrafting.
Training and development:
- Provide knowledge and skill training for onsite personal, through our VFL program.
- Identify needs for specialised training requirements within your area of responsibility.
- Implement a reliable Zambian development program [succession planning] to guide and mentor upcoming leaders in your section, ensuring the record keeping are transparent and available for auditing purposes.
- Plan, coordinate, train and supervise all on-site functions. This include safety, scheduling, engineering specifications, material control and day to day direction on technical information.
- Ensure that downtime / lost time, reports are created in a timely manner and presented to your supervisor after each substantial production loss (due to infrastructure / reticulation failure), for evaluation and escalation to senior management.
- Any other duties as directed by your direct supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Provide technical guidance, recommendations and inspections on infrastructure networks as required.
- Ability to troubleshooting / fault finding and identifying of problems within the electrical infrastructure / reticulation section.
- Experience / knowledge in the construction, operation, maintenance and fault-finding of overhead power lines, as well as medium and high voltage electrical infrastructure equipment.
- Experience and knowledge in Siemens, ABB and Schneider protection equipment, used on infrastructure / reticulation networks.
- Experience and knowledge in SF 6 gas, medium voltage circuit breakers. Used onsite are ABB, however knowledge of SF 6 breakers from other manufacturers will be advantageous.
- Demonstrated applications of continuous improvement plans for reticulation networks.
- Ability to quickly adapt to technological changes in high voltage electrical infrastructure environments.
- Demonstrated ability to work safely and improve team safety awareness.
- Certification for MV & HV switching from the Zambian MSD will be advantageous.
Key Job Attributes:
- Good leadership qualities – Bolder, Smarter, Driven.
- Demonstrate personal commitment with regards to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and ensuring appropriate action is taken.
- Maintain a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raise, discuss and resolve safety related issues during regular safety meetings.
- Identify safety hazards and implement rectification controls.
- Adhere to and enforce all aspects of the company’s health, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Access safety hazard reports and follow up on corrective actions.
- Oversee safety meetings / toolbox talks on a daily basis when required.
- Performance management to achieve required electrical infrastructure KPI’s.
- Oversee that the planning of all electrical infrastructure equipment is compliant with the company standards.
- Ensuring that all infrastructure tasks are carried out in safe, timely and efficient manner, to ensure maximum reliability as per policies and procedures.
- Achieving results through prioritizing activities, monitoring the progress of assignments, holding oneself accountable for the results.
- Motivate yourself and others in overcoming obstacles and achieving goals.
- Planning & assisting in laying out of work, when new projects are to be done.
- Ensuring maximum plant availability on the infrastructure networks at all times.
- A proven ability to work with other disciplines to achieve minimal disruption to plant operating times.
Experience Required to Perform in This Job:
- Fifteen years’ experience in an infrastructure / reticulation environment, working as a superintendent, senior supervisor / coordinator / engineer.
- Maintenance and operating knowledge of electrical medium and high voltage systems, protection calculations and settings.
- Maintenance and operating knowledge of HV and MV electrical transformers.
- Maintenance and operating knowledge of generator / power plants.
- Maintenance and operating knowledge on the use of electrical HV & MV measuring technology and equipment.
- Ability to read, train and understand electrical & P&ID drawings.
- Computer literate in all the Microsoft packages.
- A grade 12 school certificate.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from a recognized institution or an equivalent electrical qualification.
- A valid Zambian vehicle driving permit.
- Registered as a member of the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ).
- Registered as a member of the Engineering Registration Board of Zambia (ERB).
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: