Lumwana Mine, Kalumbila, Zambia.
Reporting to: Project Geologist
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the Northwestern region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position Mine Geologist
Reporting to the Project Geologist, you will coordinate the drilling, sampling, and collection of geological data in a timely manner and is of a high quality; validation and interpretation of the data for input into the construction of resource models of the Lumwana ore bodies. All work programs are to be implemented consistent with sound world class operating principles as well as optimizing the financial objectives of the business.
- Lead sub-ordinates by setting the example and provide them with clear and correct instructions.
- Use initiative to improve the quality of results and increase efficiency for Resource Definition related activities.
- Daily supervision of grade control drilling activities and ensure that the job is being carried out safely to work specifications.
- Provide proactive approach to solving daily drill pad preparations, drilling, sampling, and sample submission issues.
- Daily monitoring of sampling systems, practices, and sample QAQC in the field.
- Perform quality logging of RC chips at the drill site.
- Correcting any procedure non-conformances through discussion with the shift drilling supervisors.
- Responsible for management of sampling crews, through the supervisors, and the Contractor at the rig, their activities and performance
- Mentor and provide training for Geological Technicians to improve their general knowledge of geology, sampling theory, and ore body styles and characteristics
- Attend and be the representative of grade control drilling at the meetings with the Drilling Contractors. Make the required follow-up of outstanding issues or implement required corrective actions as and when required.
- Monitor and report on stock levels of Resource Definition consumables i.e., core-cutter blades, core trays, plastic bags, markers, Aluminium-tags etc.
- Encourage teamwork and adopt management philosophy to keep personnel motivated, and producing a high standard of work
- Perform work inspections of areas under your control, and document findings according to procedure
- Any other duties as directed by the superior.
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science – Majoring in Geology
- Knowledge of Reverse Circulation (RC) and Diamond Drilling (DD) methods.
- Minimum two (2) years experience supervising drilling programs and contractors.
- Be familiar with mining in large open cut mines and knowledge of their management principles and philosophies would be advantageous.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- High level of responsibility and shows accountability for own actions
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills in the English language.
- Self-motivated, high level of commitment and goal oriented.
- Be able to show initiative, have good interpersonal skills & make decisions.
- Look for continuous improvement of all business activities and self.
- Some experience in mapping, logging, section interpretation and some 3D geological modeling would be advantageous.
- Basic knowledge of sample QA/QC management and laboratory auditing.
- Must be computer literate with exposure to 3D geological software & competent with Microsoft Office programs.
- Must be a confident supervisor and capable of resolving all work-related issues (contractor & junior staff)
- Hold a valid Zambian driver’s license.
- Must be a member of the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ).
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.
‘Be Aware of Fraudsters’
Lumwana Mine does not solicit for payment of any funds towards the recruitment process.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: