ActionAid Zambia (AAZ) is part of the ActionAid Global (AAG) Federation; sharing common values and aims to drive social change towards a just, equitable and sustainable world. AAZ works with marginalized and excluded women and young people, their organizations, and movements to address the structural causes of social injustice, gender inequality and poverty.
ActionAid Zambia has been awarded a project focusing on women’s rights and therefore is seeking to recruit an experienced and suitably qualified individual to fill the position of Thematic Lead – Civic Participation and State Accountability.
Contract Duration: SIX (6) MONTHS
Purpose of The Role:
The Thematic Lead – civic participation and state accountability will be be responsible for leading successful delivery of ActionAid Zambia’s work on Civic Participation and State Accountability in line with the ActionAid Zambia Country Strategic Paper Objectives (CSP). The job holder will lead in building the capacity of communities living in poverty and exclusion to hold the State to account for delivery GRPS (health, education and social protection) especially for women and youth. Additionally, the Job holder will be expected to support the communities and partners to hold government accountable in the generation and management of public resources
- Lead in designing programmatic and policy initiatives for the advancement of Civic participation and State Accountability work
- Identifying and leading in the development of research, advocacy/policy positions, and opportunities to influence policy on Civic participation and State Accountability work at national, regional and internationally.
- Oversee the effective planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of any project assigned to achieve the defined project objectives in line with the approved Project Document.
- Coordinating effective learning, policy, research and advocacy engagement with AAZ and among issue based CSOs locally and externally and maintaining linkages with key government departments and stakeholders for external engagement.
- Provide technical support in development of fundraising proposals focusing on Civic participation and State Accountability work.
- Preparing timely and quality quarterly reports on work done on Civic Participation and State Accountability and Project report as per donor requirements and in line with AAZ’s M&E reporting cycle
- Maintain coordination with the LRP/Hub Coordinators for planning and implementation of programmes on Civic Participation and State Accountability preparedness at district and LRP level.
- Manage the Implementation of the Demand for Human Rights Project.
- In collaboration with communications and M&E/ quality Assurance unit, ensure regular documentation, promotion of shared learning and ensuring sound donor communications.
- Support the programmes team in the establishment of policy positions on Civic Participation and State Accountability
- Lead in designing innovative interventions aimed at socio-economic and political governance in Zambia
- Manage the Civic Participation and State Accountability Unit and Providing strategic leadership in management of all projects under the Unit and ensure that project implementation & expenditure is on track and project officers adhere to programme and financial requirements.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a field of Economics, Development Studies, or other related social sciences from a recognized University
- A minimum of five (5) years’ work experience in governance with a specific focus on decentralization, public finance management, practical experience in budget monitoring and tracking and decentralization concepts
- Good understanding of political system and Democracy, Civil Society land scape and policy reforms issues in Zambia.
- Demonstrable experience in leading and working within influential coalitions and networks.
- Demonstrable experience in advocacy and campaigns on good governance.
- Demonstrable experience in building capacity of partners and staff on public governance.
- Strong understanding of economic and political governance and its relation to pro-poor development.
- Experience of managing partnership relationships
- Understanding of different donor requirements and ways of working
Other Request Competences:
- Demonstrate understanding of the AAZ’s priorities and goals and effectively analyses complex problems.
- Overcome resistance to change by involving others, listening, and building commitment.
- Expresses ideas clearly and concisely; disseminates information about decisions and plans.
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions.
Method of Application
To apply, please send a cover letter and Curriculum Vitae highlighting how you match the criteria in the Job Description to the following email address;
Alternatively, applications can be sent to The Human Resources, ActionAid Zambia, PO Box 51407,
ActionAid is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women below the age of 35 years are encouraged to apply. Please Note: While we value all applications, we can only respond to short listed and candidates finalist.