Play it Forward (PiF) is seeking an individual to join our team of dedicated staff in Zambia. The person will manage all in country operations and inspire and lead from the front. This individual will be responsible for the development and running of the organisation in Zambia, working closely with the CEO in the UK.
Our mission is to empower young Zambians to develop sustainable livelihoods through quality education and health activities. Play it Forward inspires and empowers a whole new generation of young people to take control of their lives. We engage over 1,500 young people every year in a wide range of programmes from health education & HIV testing to literacy, coding, mentoring and support towards higher education and employment. Our support on and off the pitch, ensures that young people emerge from our programmes with new skills to succeed in school, the workforce and in life.
UK Charity Registration Number 1108821
Zambia Non-Profit Registration No. 120170010072
Location: Livingstone, Zambia
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
Contract: 2 years minimum
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in UK
Essential skills and experience:
- Minimum of 5 years senior management experience working in/with government, intergovernmental or international NGO organisations
- An appropriate degree level qualification in a relevant discipline, such as Community Development, Social Science, NGO Management, International Development/Relations or Sport for Development
- Strong and proven leadership and management capability
- Experience in writing grant applications and delivering humanitarian development projects particularly in education and health
- Excellent English communication skills
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Key Deliverable: Demonstrable and inspiring leadership in promoting the values, the vision, mission and goal of PiF and in the implementation of the Country Strategy.
- Work with the CEO to develop the Organisational Strategy and lead the delivery of Country Strategy so that PiF Zambia staff are living the organisation’s values and achieving the agreed objectives
- Lead the team in making key decisions regarding the implementation of the strategy and overall direction of PiF
- Lead the team in agreeing on Programming, Finance and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) on each project
- Lead PiF Zambia in all work activities ensuring the engagement of participants is held as the highest priority in the delivery of the projects
2. Programme Management:
- Key Deliverable: Strong project management systems for planning, delivering and evaluating projects for clearly measurable impact.
- Ensure that robust systems of planning and delivering projects are in place and implemented, from design and inception to delivery and evaluation
- Regularly monitor project performance and compare to targets, deliverables, and budget
- Ensure that the planning, delivery and evaluation of projects complies with donor expectations and the terms of donor contracts, and that reporting to donors is of the highest standard
- Ensure that impact is effectively evaluated and measured to the highest standard in all programmes on a regular basis, and that learning from the data is maximised and new strategies are adopted to increase impact
- Ensure that PiF Zambia can clearly demonstrate the impact of its work through annual impact assessments, and promotes and disseminates its impact and learning to partner organisations, participants and stakeholders
- Using the learning and achievement of projects, develop new project proposals, ensuring that participants are involved in the process, along with relevant members of staff
- Key Deliverable: The organisation grows and sustains enough income to support itself and the beneficiaries that we work with.
- Actively research for potential grants opportunities to identify areas where PiF Zambia can apply for funding
- Work with the programmes staff and country partners to identify, coordinate, write and submit quality and timely proposals/applications
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the fundraising strategy
- Diversify income by engaging with businesses and corporates, including establishing social enterprise activities
- Key Deliverable: The Board of Trustees of PiF UK and Zambia is a well-functioning, active and useful support for the rest of the organisation.
- Regularly update and involve the Board of Trustees in the work, progress and challenges of PiF, and support the Chair to convene quarterly meetings
- Report to Trustees on a regular basis against the organisational strategy, targets and budget and ensure that PiF Zambia complies with the high standards of probity and good governance
- Ensure that PiF Zambia operates within the terms and conditions of all legal agreements with the Zambian Government
5. Organisational Development:
- Key Deliverable: PiF Zambia continues to grow in capacity including the quality of projects, finances, human resource, new project opportunities and in strategic partnerships.
- Increase the overall income of the organisation by securing new funding of projects through in-country and external funding initiatives
- Identify technical capacity gaps, and take action to fill them wherever possible through training or recruitment
- Establish, develop and maintain excellent working relationships with key stakeholders, partners and donors in country
6. Financial Management:
- Key deliverable: Ensure financial controls are adhered to and hold staff accountable for expenditure and financial reporting.
- Ensure that there is a robust internal control environment, including sound policies and procedures that safeguard staff and the assets of the organisation and funding partners
- Evaluate and make any necessary changes to the cost base of the organisation with a view to ensuring the greatest impact and value for money
- Prepare the organisation for an annual independent examination or audit depending on requirements of donors
- Ensure that established policies and procedures on HR, administration, finance, and programmes are understood by staff, implemented and regularly reviewed
- Carry out routine spot checks on petty cash, purchase orders, asset registers and other supporting documentation.
7. Performance Management:
- Key Deliverable: Create and implement a performance management system across the organisation.
- Ensure that robust organisational learning processes are in place which capitalise on lessons learned, are communicated effectively
- Develop and maintain an organisational culture of learning and reflection leading to positive changes in programme delivery
- Ensure all managers within the organisation have the capacity to be able to support their teams and provide clear personnel development plans and targets to ensure the highest level of motivation and passion of all PiF employees across the organisation
- Ensure staff Job Descriptions deliver the organisational strategic objectives, and personal / professional objectives
- Conduct annual appraisals based on personal objectives and targets and agree performance related pay with the CEO and Trustees
8. Human Resources:
- Key Deliverable: PiF Zambia is a healthy and safe environment and that it is fully staffed with properly trained and skilled members who are supported to achieve the best they can for the participants and the organisation.
- Ensure that PiF Zambia is fully staffed with the best people for each post, irrespective of their background or gender
- Support the Head of Operations to review and implement the Staff Development Policy to support focused and dedicated staff
- Ensure that Health and Safety is prioritised in every area of PiF’s work, especially in road safety
- Ensure all key HR policies are living documents that are clearly reflected in the day to day work of the organisation
- Ensure internal employee wellbeing is reviewed and supported throughout all PiF work and activities. Create space and time to explore and develop the wellbeing and team dynamic of direct line reports and lead by example in focusing on staff wellbeing for all PiF employees
Method of Application
We welcome applications from people of all ages (over 18) and backgrounds who have the skills and experience to help strengthen our team.
Please submit your CV along with a cover letter of no more than one A4 page outlining your suitability for the role to this email:
Due to the high number of applications received, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.