Duties And Qualifications
The Senior Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Assistant will be part of the livelihoods unit within the Operation. The incumbent will support in operationalizing the strategic vision to align livelihoods and economic inclusion efforts with the Global Compact on Refugees (GCR), which underscores the need to mobilize additional actors and to adopt a whole-of-society approach to strengthen refugee self-reliance and help ease pressure on host countries. S/he will contribute to the objectives of the unit under the direct supervision of the (Senior) Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Officer.
The Senior Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Assistant will collaborate closely with UNHCR livelihoods partners, government agencies, private sector and financial services providers as well as other relevant stakeholders to enhance the economic inclusion and improve self-reliance of both persons of concern (PoC) and host community members. The incumbent will also be expected to deliberately explore opportunities of collaboration with other UNHCR cross cutting areas such as protection, education, cash, partnerships, research and analytics, GBV, solutions, complementary pathways and more. To document good practices, results and to generate knowledge, the Senior Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Assistant will work closely with the supervisor to build on UNHCR databases and support regular information sharing and coordination among different humanitarian, developmental and governmental stakeholders. S/he will assist to mobilize refugees of different age, gender and background and to ensure that all stakeholders well understand the potential of economic inclusion of refugees and host community members, and to help communicate opportunities to PoC.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Explore partnerships with relevant stakeholders to enhance economic inclusion of UNHCR PoC. This includes working with economic development agencies to adapt their programmes to become inclusive of UNHCR PoC, working with the private sector to enhance inclusion of UNHCR PoC in their labour force and supply chains, working with financial service providers to enhance financial inclusion, and working with public and private sector service providers to include UNHCR PoC in supporting services (business development, micro-finance, training, saving accounts, poverty alleviation and social protection, etc.).
- Support work with the multi-functional team, more specifically with the Protection Unit, to collect information about the legal framework for the right to work and rights at work.
- Support the implementation of socioeconomic and wealth ranking surveys to inform targeting, monitoring and facilitation of the engagement of development programmes.
- In case UNHCR is implementing specific livelihoods activities, work closely with and provide technical assistance on livelihoods interventions to help ensure they are market-based, and that the role of UNHCR has been strategically determined in consideration of its comparative advantage vis-à-vis other partners.
- Prepare field reports and other relevant reports relating to livelihoods and make recommendations for interventions that enhance refugee economic inclusion to the designated officer.
- Provide overall support to the supervisor including assistance in the organization of meetings, workshops and working sessions.
- Organize and participate in workshops, training programmes, monitoring visits and working groups with regards to livelihood programming.
- Draft routine documents, contribute to assessments, and participate in inter-agency meetings.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G5- 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- Certificates and/or Licenses
- Business Management, Socio-Economics Development Economics/International Economics Rural Development
- Financial Management Agriculture
- or other related field
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Relevant Job Experience
- Experience in facilitating the economic inclusion of vulnerable and marginalized groups in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, ideally in varied field contexts. Experience in working in partnership with private sector, NGOs, UN organisations, development actors, and government authorities in sub-sectors relevant to livelihood programming e.g. financial inclusion, employment, entrepreneurship, private sector development, local economic development, poverty reduction, agriculture, livestock, vocational and technical education and training, etc.
- Knowledge of refugee protection principles and framework. Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- Functional Skills
- LV-Strategic Planning and Advocacy for Refugee Socioeconomic Rights
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Managerial Competencies
- Not specified.
- Cross-Functional Competencies
- Planning and Organizing
- Stakeholder Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Language Requirements
- Please also note that English is mandatory for this Job Opening.
- A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: