Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Duration: Full-Time position
Reports to: Director Operations
John Snow Health Zambia (JSH-Z) with support from USAID through the eSCMIS Project will continue assisting the Government of the Republic of Zambia in the rollout of a next-generation electronic supply chain management information system (eSCMIS). The eSCMIS Project aims to increase the use of health services, decrease disease burden and increase quality of life through ensuring appropriate quantities and quality of health commodities are available at health facilities to meet patient demands. Continuing the rollout of and provision of technical support to the existing eLMIS will enable a seamless transition from the activities being done under predecessor projects. Establishing public private partnerships to promote sustainability and eSCMIS transition to the government are key objectives in Zambia during this 5-year project plan. The eSCMIS Project will work closely with and in support of the Ministry of Health.
- JSH-Z seeks a dynamic and highly experienced candidate for the position of Finance Manager to be based in Lusaka, Zambia.
- The Finance Manager will support the overall project financial management and compliance with regards to day-to-day project finances, budget management, procurement, USAID and subcontractor invoicing and bank credit facility management. The Finance Manager will report to the Director Operations and help in achieving the project’s goals and objectives.
- Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Director Operations in providing financial and compliance guidance during the work plan budgeting process.
- Develop annual budget for operations support, with guidance and feedback from senior management. Assure that budget accurately reflects approved work plan. In collaboration with the technical staff, participate in development of the budget for technical activities.
- Ensure that Chart of Accounts supports tracking for production of annual PEPFAR expenditure report; draft report with management staff.
- Manage budget tracking and projections and prepare routine financial reports (monthly, quarterly, annual).
- Manage eSCMIS Project credit facility, including close monitoring of cash flow and projections.
- Manage relationship with the bank.
- Implement and monitor effective financial management systems and rigorous internal controls to ensure that all financial reporting is accurate cost efficient and transparent, ensuring compliance with USG rules and regulations, JSH-Z policy and local laws at all times.
- Monitor and track project income and expenditure against budget and regular updating of projections.
- Monitor use of JSH-Z Chart of Accounts and train finance team in its use.
- Oversee the work of the Senior Accountant, Accountant and Finance Officer, ensuring that costs are within JSH-Z, USAID, USG, and other donor rules and regulations and are properly documented and complete annual performance appraisals.
- Provide direct supervision to the Senior Accountant, Accountant and Finance Officer, including development of individual roles and responsibilities, definition of tasks, development and documentation of professional development plans, and conducting performance appraisals with supervisees.
- Ensure a culture of compliance and monitor and supervise internal audits and compliance checks, implement corrective action plans and act as the audit focal point for JSH-Z audits
- Ensure compliance with ZRA, NAPSA and other statutory returns at all times.
- Review all project financial policies, procedures, and issues, prior to dissemination to project staff, donor and partners.
- Manage the update and roll-out of the operations manual and the related forms and SOPs.
- Manage funds at local bank account, including balance monitoring, daily transaction posting and reconciliations, and approve expenditures in accordance with JSH-Z and donor procedures, cost principles, and regulations.
Oversee monthly financial reporting, assuring accuracy and timeliness including:
- Review of the QuickBooks database
- Review of the sample QuickBooks vouchers, ensuring completeness, accuracy and compliance
- Perform bank account reconciliation
- Perform petty cash reconciliation
- Trouble-shoot any challenges in documentation or reporting.
- Assist in managing the level of outstanding advances.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the JSI subcontract capacity building activities and liaison with the Finance Team to resolve any disallowed vouchers and responses to queries.
- Review and monitor monthly invoices to and payment from USAID.
- Review and monitor monthly invoices from and payment to project subcontractors.
- Implement and adhere to JSH-Z’s personnel and fraud management policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director Operations or other senior staff.
- Bachelor’s in finance, accounting, business, economics or related field with a minimum of 10 years direct work experience in financial, grants or contracts management in Zambia with senior-level responsibility for project administration and finance.
- Must be a member of Zambia Institute of Accountants/ACCA Part III/CIMA Part III
- Demonstrated experience 10+ years of financial experience in a USAID project
- Excellent verbal and written English.
- Proven record of systems strengthening and internal controls
- Ability to take initiative and work and lead teams.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required.
Supervision and Reporting:
- The Finance Manager will work under the guidance and supervision of the Director Operations.
Method of Application
Apply online at this link or click the apply button below:
Please note that you do not need to apply if you don’t meet the minimum requirements. Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within 3 weeks after the closing date, kindly assume that your application was not successful.
John Snow Health Zambia, Limited is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions.