Under the overall guidance of the Representative and Deputy Representative, and direct supervision of the Reproductive Health Commodity Security Programme Analyst, the Commodity Logistics Officer will provide leadership on working with in-country partners to conduct forecasting and quantification of national commodity needs, timely ordering, shipment clearance, distribution and support for last mile assurance of UNFPA procured Reproductive Health (RH) commodities and supplies.
Specifically, he/she will work on the day to day tracking of RH commodities, by raising requisitions for UNFPA supported commodities and supplies, facilitate in country customs clearing, transportation to main warehouse, facilitate and document receipt by recipients, ensure appropriate storage, and provide oversight on distribution. His/her role is to facilitate a fully accountable, smoothly functioning, well-managed and results-oriented delivery and distribution of RH commodities and supplies procured by UNFPA. The Commodity Logistics officer closely collaborates with the programme and operational staff in the Country Office.
Under the overal guidance of the Representative and Deputy Representative, and direct supervision of the Reproductive Health Commodity Security Programme Analyst, the Commodity Logistics Officer will provide leadership on working with in-country partners to conduct forecasting and quantification of national commodity needs, timely ordering, shipment clearance, distribution and support for last mile assurance of UNFPA procured Reproductive Health (RH) commodities and supplies.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Work with in-country partners to conduct evidence based forecasting and quantification of national commodity needs.
- Prepare commodity procurement plan of the CO through online procurement planning tool on a timely basis
- Follow-up actively and take systematic action to implement Commodity procurement plans in collaboration with relevant programme staff
- Submit complete, well-defined and quantified procurement requests and Atlas Requisitions to PSB on a timely manner
- Provide oversight and support for timely coordination of logistics related matters such as obtaining import permits as required, product registrations, arranging waivers as applicable.
- Monitor the shipments using shipment tracker, make necessary updates, and regularly report on the status to supervisors.
- Maintain effective and constructive communication with PSB procurement focal point on continuous basis in order to take proactive actions on logistics related matters
- Work with PSB delivery schedule and liaise with local consignees and medical stores to ensure adherence to the schedules.
- Represent UNFPA in related inter-agency meetings and working groups regarding procurement and supplies.
- Entry of procurement needs into ATLAS procurement module and regularly updating of Shipment tracker and other tools such as CCM.
- Liaise with local clearing agencies to ensure timely clearance and delivery of commodities to the designated consignee.
- Provide oversight and support for customs clearance and inspection at designated port of entry
- Provide the necessary support to recipients of UNFPA procurements to ensure they are ready to receive the shipments and complete and submit all necessary receipt documentation.
- Organize Keep cool chain requirements when applicable, storage space and transportation to/from airports/port of entry
- Create mechanisms for effective tracking and management of UNFPA procured commodities including the Commodity Tracking Tool.
- Maintain continuous and accurate/up-dated flow of information between UNFPA headquarters, and Country Office.
- Support preparations and regular/periodic audits, spot-checks related to Reproductive Health Commodity security and supply chain management
- Work with partners to provide oversight on last mile distribution of the supplies.
- Prepares and monitor financial transactions for RH commodities, equipment and supplies in accordance with UNFPA financial rules and procedures.
- Ensure all procurement documentation has been secured and appropriately filed.
- Ensure appropriate warehousing of all the supplies at all levels and routinely provide updates on the status.
- Ensure accurate inventory of all the RH commodities, including up to date record keeping.
- Ensures the monitoring of all RH commodities procured locally and internationally, including RH and dignity Kits and medical equipment
- Maintains and manage the Office asset register; including warehouses receiving commodities, Kits or any other programme assets procured by UNFPA.
- Manage the special distribution, and advice on warehousing conditions for storage of contraceptives, equipment and supplies to ensure optimal storage conditions.
- Ensures that all financial transactions with regards to custom clearance, storage and transportation costs are processed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Manages internal and external audit functions regarding procurement of RH commodities at national or central level
- Manage the UNFPA Last Mile Assurance Requirements and liaise with the Finance Branch to ensure timely updates on the required processes
- When appropriate, undertakes other related duties assigned by the supervisor and/or Management team.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor degree in pharmacy or any health science with sound knowledge in logistics and supply chain management.
- A post graduate degree in the above is an advantage.
- At least 5 years progressively responsible experience in procurement supply chain management pr involving Reproductive Health commodities in a public or private sector environment.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Proficiency in current office software applications.
- Proficiency in Atlas, PeopleSoft, and other computerized applications used by the UN.
- Implementing management systems
- Business Acumen and ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Pro-activeness and Client Orientation
- Organizational Awareness
- Job Knowledge/Technical expertise in procurement supply chain management
- Values: Integrity/Commitment to mandate, Knowledge sharing/Continuous learning, Valuing diversity
- Managing Relationships: Working in teams, Communicating information and ideas, Conflict and self-management
- Working with people: Empowerment/Developing people/Performance management
- Personal Leadership and Effectiveness: Strategic and analytical thinking, Results orientation/Commitment to excellence, Appropriate and transparent decision making
Method of Application
UNFPA has established an electronic application management system. This allows applicants to create a candidate profile, which can be updated regularly and submitted for more than one vacancy.
Apply for this position through the E-Recruit System of UNFPA. Submit your CV and Application on Company Website:
PLEASE NOTE: UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.