Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years in East and Southern Africa, Jhpiego has empowered front-line health workers by designing and implementing effective, low-cost, hands-on solutions that strengthen the delivery of health care services, following the household-to-hospital continuum of care. Jhpiego partners with organizations from the community to the national levels, building sustainable, local capacity through advocacy, policy development, human resources for health and quality and performance improvement approaches. For further information about Jhpiego, please visit our website at www.jhpiego.org.
Jhpiego invites applications for the following positions for an upcoming Department of Defence (DOD) funded HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment project. The project’s goal is to achieve HIV epidemic control by supporting the Defense Force of Zambia (DFZ) to achieve and sustain UNAIDS 95-95-95 targets and at least 90% VMMC coverage for members of the DFZ, their families and the civilian communities they serve.
All successful candidates selected for these positions will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Jhpiego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity.
Laboratory Technical Officer (5)
Location: Chipata, Ndola, Lusaka, Kabwe and Kasama
Reports to: Senior Laboratory Technical Advisor
The Laboratory Technical Officer will provide technical expertise in the areas of laboratory services for the Department of Defense (DOD) – funded HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment project at the facility level. S/he will oversee and ensure the technical and methodological soundness of the project’s lab activities.
- Responsible for supporting the DOD HIV Prevention Care and Treatment Program in all aspects of HIV/TB/STI/Cervical Cancer diagnosis
- Supports implementation of activities in line with the National HIV/TB/STI/Cervical Cancer Strategic Plan
- Collaborates with other partners in the country to enhance synergy of resources including strengthening of inter and intra district courier
- Strengthen specimen referral systems and result feedback for supported sites and promote linkage between testing and non- testing sites for Viral Load testing, DBS testing and TB diagnostic tests
- Collaborates with the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Defense and the National Tuberculosis Control Program in identification, planning and provision of laboratory technical support at all levels
- Supports roll out of DataToCare and other laboratory information systems such as DISA-Lab and eLAB
- Participate in national quantification and forecasting of laboratory commodities
- Builds capacity to MOD laboratory staff through various trainings and mentorship on GeneXpert, smear microscopy, external quality assurance (EQA), DataToCare connectivity platform, DISA-Lab, and eLAB
- Supports the MOD on the implementation of GeneXpert technology and other newer technologies/ diagnostic tools including Installation, training, maintenance and proficiency monitoring
- Facilitates improved collaboration between the relevant laboratory focal point persons at GeneXpert sites and FOBs Scientific Limited as regards to GeneXpert technical support, preventive maintenance and repair
- Conducts assessment of primary care facilities and develop plans for HIV/TB/STI/Cervical Cancer diagnostic capacity building in DFZ Supported facilities
- Participates in development of quality management systems (QMS) for HIV/TB/STI/Cervical Cancer benches in peripheral laboratories
- Strengthens quality management systems (QMS) through technical supportive supervision and various activities.
- Develops work plans and budgets for HIV/TB/STI/Cervical cancer diagnostic support under the DOD HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care and Treatment Program
- Represents Jhpiego at relevant Regional/Provincial Meetings.
- Diploma in Biomedical Sciences, or recognized equivalent. A Degree is an added advantage
- Minimum 5- 6years’ experience in providing laboratory support and working with the MOH
- At least four (4) years’ experience in conducting biomedical laboratory tests
- Experience with DataToCare or any other gene Xpert connectivity software
- Registration with the Health Professions Council of Zambia and in possession of a valid practicing license
- Membership with the Biomedical Society of Zambia (BSZ)
- Demonstrated experience in conducting EQA for primary care laboratories for both microscopy and Xpert
- Demonstrated experience supporting Installation, training, maintenance and proficiency monitoring of GeneXpert MTB RIF technology
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building/training primary Health care staff on HIV/TB/STI diagnostic tools in use in the national program
- Awareness and knowledge of WHO accreditation systems for Primary Health care facility laboratories
- Ability to work under minimum supervision
- Familiarity with PEPFAR programs, policies and regulations is desirable
Method of Application
Please send your application letter and curriculum vitae only in a single document, stating the position and location e.g. (Field HIV Care and Treatment Technical Officer – Kasama) in the subject line to the Human Resources Manager: Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.