The British Council is looking for an experienced Accountant to join us in Lusaka, Zambia. This role is responsible for the end to end accounting process in Zambia and Zimbabwe, including month and year end close, and ensures consistent, accurate and robust financial accounting processes in line with accounting practices and corporate policies.
- This role is responsible for the end to end accounting process in Zambia and Zimbabwe, including month and year end close, and ensures consistent, accurate and robust financial accounting processes in line with accounting practices and corporate policies.
- This is a supporting role in the Financial Controlling and Accounting process which is a key function in the new organisational structure emerging from the Financial Transparency recommendations.
The post-holder will (across operations in Zambia and Zimbabwe:
- Complete all financial tasks required for the financial month-end pre-closing steps and provide support as required for the financial month-end closing steps.
- Maintain financial records as per corporate policy and internal audit
- Provide support as required on accounting transactions and adjustments (accruals, deferrals and provisions), including Intercompany accounting.
- Provide support as required with manual journals and off-system payments requests ensuring accuracy and compliance with relevant policies.
- Assist with reconciliation of all relevant accounts and ensure that this is completed to corporate standards.
- Assist Senior Accountant with preparation of local Tax submissions and other statutory returns.
- Complete Travel & Expenses audits as per policy addressing issues in a promptly manner.
- Assist Senior Accountant with provision of information to internal / external auditors.
Regional and Functional Team Working:
- Contribute to ensuring the policies, procedures and systems are delivered with integrity.
- Work closely and effectively as part of the regional and global finance teams.
- Actively support equality and diversity and work to the British Council’s EDI policy at all times.
We are looking for someone with:
- Highly organised and deadline oriented.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proven accounting experience.
- Experience of an ERP system.
For further information please review the documents below:
- Role Profile
- BC Core Skills
- BC Behaviours
Our Equality Commitment:
- Valuing diversity is essential to the British Council’s work. We aim to abide by and promote equality legislation by following both the letter and the spirit of it to avoid unjustified discrimination, recognizing discrimination as a barrier to equality of opportunity, inclusion and human rights.
- All staff worldwide are required to ensure their behaviour is consistent with our policies, and human resource as a function is absolutely committed to this.
- The British Council is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and is keen to reflect the diversity of UK society at every level within the organisation.
- We welcome applications from all sections of the community. In line with the British Council's Child Protection policy, any appointment is contingent on thorough checks.
- In the UK, and in other countries where appropriate systems exist, these include criminal records checks.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: