Under the direct supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator (RC), the UN Coordination Specialist supports the UN coordination mandate in order to achieve a coherent and effective UN response to Zambia’s Development agenda. The UN Coordination Specialist supports the development of common UN strategies and contributes towards a coherent implementation of the Zambia-UN Sustainable Development Partnership Framework 2016-2021 (Partnership Framework). The UN Coordination Specialist works in close collaboration with the UN Resident Coordinator, UN Country Team members, UN Results Groups, the Regional Directors Team, UN Development Operations Coordination Office in New York, Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society, ensuring successful and transparent coordination of UN activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provides policy guidance and support to RC based on analysis of development and political trends and their possible impact on UN work, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Through analysis and research of political, social and economic situation in country, advise RC on developments having consequences for UN agencies’ work and priorities;
• Overall coordination of the process of continuously identifying, analyzing and prioritizing needs in Zambia in order to facilitate an appropriate, coherent programmatic response by UNCT, reflecting Partnership Framework priorities and SDGs;
• Facilitation of assessments and other analytical work to help determine UNCT strategy and priorities, reflecting the overall framework of Partnership Framework and SDGs;
• Advise on adjusting strategies and implementation modalities, cost-effective and efficient implementation of joint UN programmes, common services and other UN functions;
• Advise and facilitate the RC in defining the UN’s role, priorities and strategies and the various coordination mechanisms, including support to lead agencies of Results Groups and Inter-Agency Teams;
• Monitor relevant developments in the General Assembly, Security Council, and within the peace and security departments of the United Nations HQ;
• Preparation of social, economic, and political analyses and briefings to the RC;
• Preparation of updates for the UN Secretariat and other UN entities, as and when required by the RC;
• Provision of advice on social, economic, and political matters, as and when required by the RC.
Ensures effective strategic communication and advocacy of UN programme results through the Results Groups focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Ensure tracking of latest developments and issues on UN reform in the media, UN system and other partners that require attention and on which UN system should respond
• Management of the UNCT’s media and communication strategies, through the UN Communications Group;
• Provide oversight and guidance to the preparation of speakers' notes, talking points and speeches for major advocacy events of the Resident Coordinator system, in close consultation with the UNCT and partners.
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization and investment strategy for Partnership Framework implementation focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Development of partnerships with International IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society;
• Compilation of donor information including substantive briefs on donor strategies and national development strategies, provision of advice to RC on ensuring synchronicity, alignment and complementarities between the strategies and UN activities;
• Monitoring and support to UNCT preparations for emergencies, crisis and post-crisis issues, roundtables and other key events in close consultation with appropriate counterparts in government, bilateral and multilateral partners.
Oversees planning strategic engagement with non-resident UN agencies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Based on country assessment and needs, pinpoint areas and gaps where non-resident UN agencies (NRAs) could play a role;
• Establish links to non-resident agencies in technical areas not covered by the UNCT and facilitate inputs from NRAs to joint planning, and ensure that NRAs are informed and participating to UNCT initiatives.
Ensures effective management of RCO and its staff focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Oversee, manage and guide the work of the UN Resident Coordinator's Office, a team of staff members working in inter-agency coordination, donor coordination, joint programming under the overall guidance of the RC;
• Guide staff in partnership building and strategic interaction with national partners, donor aid agencies, civil society and the private sector, adhering to UN principles and values;
• Coordination of RCO workflow, providing substantive/technical guidance to RCO staff as necessary;
• Serve as supervisor to RC Office staff, providing feedback and inputs to staff Results and Competency Assessments (RCAs) as required;
• Oversight and management of human resource and recruitment processes for RCO.
• Ability to make new and useful ideas work
• Ability to persuade others to follow
Communication and Relationship Management
• Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
• Ability to get things done.
• Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
• Coordination Effectiveness
• Ability to lead the design and implementation of UN programme activities, strengthening of strategic partnerships for Partnership Framework implementation;
• Ability to build and sustain effective partnerships with UN Agencies and main constituents, advocate effectively, communicate sensitively across different constituents.
Partnering and networking
• Initiates and sustains relationships with key constituents;
• Builds and sustains effective partnerships with UN agencies;
• Advocates effectively, engaging others to take action in desired directions;
• Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies;
• Seeks and applies knowledge information and best practices from within and outside the UN Country Team.
• Recognizes and responds appropriately to the ideas, interests and concerns of others;
• Builds trust and engenders morale by displaying open, transparent and credible behavior;
• Respects individual/ cultural differences;
• Utilizes diversity to foster teamwork;
• Ensures others’ understanding of, involvement in and adaptation to change processes
• Provides and responds constructively to feedback.
Management and Leadership
• Produces quality outputs in a timely manner when assigned a given task;
• Analyses problems carefully and logically, leading to fact-based and practical recommendations;
• Has initiative and develops creative solutions to particularly challenging situations;
• Focuses on impact and result for the client;
• Leads teams effectively and possesses good conflict resolution skills;
• Executes responsibilities accordingly;
• Sound strategic planning expertise and familiarity with results-based management instruments and their application;
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
• Remains calm, in control and good-humoured even under pressure;
• Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
• Dependable and reliable;
• Possesses sound political judgment and maturity, and keeps confidentiality.
• Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge.
Required Skills And Experience
• Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Economics, International Relations, or related field.
• Minimum 7 years of post-qualification relevant experience at the national or international level in coordination, monitoring and reporting of activities and funding for results using an integrated outcome approach, including experience preferably from developing countries;
• Demonstrable experience in providing management advisory services, with hands-on experience strategic planning and programming processes, including design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
• Previous UN field and coordination experience will be considered an asset;
• In-depth knowledge of the UN system, UN reform and its operational mandates, would be an advantage;
• Familiarity with the human rights based approach to programming an advantage;
• Demonstrable experience establishing outreach and partnerships;
• Knowledge of humanitarian system is considered an asset.
• Excellent skills in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
• Important applicant information
• All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
• Applicant information about UNDP rosters
UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.
We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
• UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply.
All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
• The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process.
• Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
• Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
• Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on Company Website: