Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children and has been operational in Zambia since the 1980s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, child poverty, nutrition and WASH. In total, we employ around 150 staff in Zambia and had an operating annual budget in 2017 of approximately US$12million.
Duty Station: Nchelenge
• Assist in the monitoring, reporting and maintenance of the Nchelenge Office Finances, Administration and logistics.
Key Areas of Accountability:
• Timely and accurate preparation of cash and cheque payments including based on the approved payment vouchers.
• Careful and efficient handling of SC petty cash and cash instruments at the Nchelenge Sub Office
• Maintain, keep, and reconcile cash in hand on daily basis with the cash books
• Ensuring efficient and effective operation of the different bank accounts so that they are not overdrawn at any time.
• Review all expenditures supporting documentation request missing documents, authorisation as per SOD and receipts for accuracy, completeness and correctness of codes before preparing payment vouchers and issuing out cash and or cheques and receipts.
• Receiving working and other advances refunds from staff and other third parties and timely issuing cash receipts to the payer.
• Maintaining cash in hand insurance throughout the year as a safety measure and ensuring other controls in place for safeguarding of cash in hand e.g. use of dual key safe etc
• Maintain a system to track financial commitments and outstanding contract amounts by staff and third parties transacting with SC and ensure that they are diligently executed when due.
• Collect bank statements from the bank on regular basis and sequentially file them.
• Represent SC as a banking agent and ensure the safety of cash in transit and proper recording of cash withdrawn from the bank.
• Keeping track of funds available in the country to ensure smooth cash flow for programme operations.
• Provide information to Finance Officer for preparation of cash forecast to request funds from HO.
Finance & Non Finance Documents Archiving
• Providing audit selections and responding to audit queries pertaining to cash and bank payments as well as temporary business advances and receipts.
• Issuing and liquidating temporary business advances
• Communication with suppliers to respond to their queries and reconcile their accounts.
• Maintain voucher serial number control register
• Proper and chronological filing of transaction vouchers and supporting documents for ease of storage and retrieval.
• Participating in timely posting of transactions in Agresso from time to time as may be called upon.
Administration & Logistics:
• Responsible for updating and reconciling staff’s annual leave days and report the Country Office on a regular basis.
• Following up and updating timesheets from staff in the sub office on a monthly basis.
• Keep proper records of all human resource documents.
• Support performance management process for the Office.
• Provide necessary information for payroll input on a monthly basis.
• Provide information to HR the leave, performance reviews and other information for compilation of Withholding tax returns.
• Responsible to pay office rentals, utilities, communication and other bills on time.
• Ensure that all purchase requests for goods and services are processed in a timely manner
• Responsible for all front office duties
• Ensure that office has adequate office requisites and that the stores is well maintained
• Ensure all office assets and goods are regularly updated in the inventory management and that items are in good working order
• Ensure that the Nchelenge office has an efficient and systematic filing system of all documents as per SCI guidelines
• To be responsible for the office petty cash and disbursement thereof.
• Ensure that all assets such as vehicles are in good running order. Also to ensure that the office premises are well maintained and fully functional.
• Responsible for other administration duties to run office smoothly.
• Any other duties as assigned by the line manager.
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum of Diploma in accounting or business administration,
• At least 3 years’ experience in accounting field, preferably with an NGO,
• High level of initiative, ability to work independently with minimal supervision,
• Good interpersonal and communication skills,
• Excellent Team working spirit,
• Good computer skills on Microsoft excel ,
• Good accounting and finance management skills with knowledge of computer Accounting packages and understanding of basic accounting concepts,
• Self-motivated, flexible with demonstrated ability to meet set deadlines and high good integrity.
• Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holders to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
• In this regard, the job holder should be in a position to work and uphold the interest of Children and uphold the organization’s Child Safeguarding policy.
How to Apply
Send your application letter clearly stating the position in the subject line with a detailed CV indicating 3 traceable referees, one of whom should have been direct supervisor, through email to:
The Director Human Resources,