Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children and has been operational in Zambia since the 1980s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, child poverty, nutrition and WASH.
Duty Station : Lusaka
• The Community Mobilization Specialist based in Lusaka will provide technical expertise on the approaches and methods for organizing and achieving results with key stakeholders within Zambia.
• The team will work closely to support Zambia’s educators, communities and education authorities as appropriate to provide a comprehensive package of opportunities to expand education services ranging from formal to non-formal education.
• Efforts will be focused at the community level in order to ensure the expansion and continuation of delivery of education services.
• The Community Mobilization Specialist will build consensus on community participation in community school quality improvement initiatives.
• The incumbent will roll out an establish mechanisms for local community participation in school quality improvement and will also undertake advocacy activities and collaborate with PTA organizations, School Management Committees, governance groups, and other community groups.
• S/he will also provide technical support and assistance for designing and implementing empowering community mobilization approaches for improved education service delivery for learners and improving reading outcomes at the primary grade levels.
Key Areas of Accountability:
• Provide technical input with technical staff and ensures deliverables are met in a timely manner;
• Regularly link with other technical staff, partners and government officials to ensure all components of the project are aligning and that similar messages are developed within education structures and at the community level;
• Liaise with government agencies as necessary, from the national level to the community level;
• Link with program managers of similar SC programs in other countries to ensure that community mobilization response builds on lessons learned and best practices;
• Travel as necessary to guide staff at the field level and to monitor program progress;
• Ensure that best practices are used in all training and community mobilization activities and keep up-to-date with state of the art programming in these areas, as well as follow what is happening more broadly country-wide.
Qualifications and Experience
• Degree in Education, Social Sciences or any relevant qualification,
• Significant relevant experience of working in the in-country humanitarian teams/programmes and/or being deployed to humanitarian responses in other countries
• Demonstrable understanding of education system in Zambia a plus,
• Previous experience in Safety and Security management skills a must,
• Previous experience of managing a team
• Previous experience of programme and project management
• Demonstrable project budget management experience
• Management experience of single site and multi-sector programme
• Experience of identifying education advocacy issues at field level, or supporting efforts at national level
• Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
• Excellent communication skills
• Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
• A high level of written and spoken English
• The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
• Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
• Multi-site management experience
• Experience of M&E and beneficiary accountability
• Experience of local level co-ordination with key stakeholders and other NGOs
• Fluent in French, Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic
• Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holders to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
• In this regard, the job holder should be in a position to work and uphold the interest of Children and uphold the organization’s Child Safeguarding policy.
How to Apply
Send your application letter clearly stating the position in the subject line with a detailed CV indicating 3 traceable referees, one of whom should have been direct supervisor, through email to:
The Director Human Resources,