For 70 years, United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Duties and Responsibilities
UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities during assignment. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
• Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the impact of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
• Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
• Build relationships with a wide range of Youth Organizations, Community-Based Organizations (CBOs), Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) to support and/or participate in community-driven voluntary activities; reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking; raise awareness in communities that will increase knowledge of issues pertaining to the UNV programme’s mandate and tis role in supporting the Mission mandate;
• Encourage, mobilize and support co-workers and fellow UN Volunteers to better understand the connections between the UNV programme’s engagement within the Mission and voluntary action;
• Contribute articles/write-ups/stories on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
• Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
• Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Education the UN Youth Volunteer will:
• Contribute to the Education programme through interventions that create opportunities for adolescents to voice their priorities, promote education and provide recommendations to decision makers;
• Examine areas of linkages across programmes, promote the inclusion of the youth perspective in cross-cutting efforts, and participate in research initiatives focused on young people;
• Participate in advocacy activities designed to influence government and other stakeholders to prioritize education, particularly through U4CCC and the girls’ internship and careers programme;
• Assist in developing education thematic briefs in support to the programmatic work of the Education section;
• Assist in drafting communication and information materials for CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for education programmes;
• Contribute to development of C4D skills and knowledge management amongst education stakeholders;
• Participate to task forces/ working groups and provide feedback;
• Support during meetings, workshop, conferences including reporting and note taking.
• A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on activities participated in and capacities developed;
• Monitoring and Evaluation mechanisms of the education programmes are strengthened and well established / adopted at all levels with constant attention to keep things simple and well aligned with the priorities of the government;
• The efficiency and efficacy of support provided by the UNV to program preparation and planning and implementation of programs/projects, contribute to achievement of sustainable results to improve learning outcomes and equitable, inclusive and universal access to education.
• Success in education programs and projects in turn will contribute to maintaining/enhancing the credibility and ability of UNICEF to provide program services for mothers and children that promotes greater social equality in the country;
• A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
• Integrity and professionalism: demonstrated expertise in area of specialty and ability to apply good judgment; high degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures in a politically sensitive environment, while exercising discretion, impartiality and neutrality; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented;
• Accountability: mature and responsible; ability to operate in compliance with organizational rules and regulations;
• Commitment to continuous learning: initiative and willingness to learn new skills and stay abreast of new developments in area of expertise; ability to adapt to changes in work environment;
• Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities;
• Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working;
• Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to conduct presentations, articulate options and positions concisely; ability to make and defend recommendations; ability to communicate and empathize with staff (including national staff), military personnel, volunteers, counterparts and local interlocutors coming from very diverse backgrounds; capacity to transfer information and knowledge to a wide range of different target groups;
• Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards the UN core values.
Required Skills and Experience
• Demonstrated interest in and/or knowledge of education development issues, policies, social programme strategies, international development cooperation in the education sector, field of development and volunteerism, Special Needs Education and/or Health/Nutrition/Hygiene Education in schools would be an added asset;
• Up to 2 years of experience in the area of education or related field is an advantage;
• Previous experience working in a professional setting;
• Motivated to contribute towards peace and development and to serve others;
• Good interpersonal, networking and communication skills;
• Willingness to contribute and work as part of a team;
• Flexible and open to learning and new experiences;
• Respect for diversity and adaptability to other cultures, environments and living conditions;
• Fluency in spoken and written English language is required;
• Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;
• Computer skills (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social media, and others);
• UN Youth Advocates must be between 18 and 24 years for the whole duration of their assignment.
• United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme which welcomes applications from qualified professionals.
• We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
• United Nations Volunteers reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this announcement.
• We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this opening for other openings with United Nations Volunteers with similar assignment description, experience and educational requirements.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website: