Yalelo is a pioneer of aquaculture in Zambia, bringing together local resources and world-leading practices. We implement a scalable solution to ease the pressure on Zambia’s struggling wild-capture fisheries sector. Founded in 2011, we have grown quickly to become the leading fisheries firm in Zambia and among the largest aquaculture firms in Africa. We breed and grow our tilapia on the shores of Lake Kariba and sell our product fresh nation-wide. Our pristine water, locally produced non-GMO fish feed and a robust cold-chain results in a product quality and affordability that is transforming the customer experience. Yalelo is seeking a highly analytical, self-starter, enthusiastic and hands-on Microbiology Laboratory Technician who is to work under the Lake Operations Manager in driving design and implementation of systems for microbiological data capture, analysis and response. This position is open to Zambians only.
Location: The role will be primarily based out of Siavonga but may require occasional overnight travel to Lusaka.
The Right-Fit candidate will:
• Will perform testing and support functions required to support the core research and development program for the water quality Lab at Yalelo.
• Supervise 3 Lab Assistants.
• Assists with laboratory continuous improvement as well as housekeeping/ sanitation and media preparation.
• The Microbiology Lab Technician is required to perform routine tasks, make scientific observations, maintain detailed workbooks/documentation and ensure all documentation fulfills generally accepted professional/industry standards.
• Prepare Microbiological growth reports and other laboratory solutions to support microbiology laboratory testing.
• Maintain Yalelo laboratory equipment and facilities.
• Perform testing to support microbiology R&D projects in accordance with SOPs and regulations.
• Make detailed observations, documents results and performs data analysis.
• Demonstrate a consistently high level of quality of work.
• Utilize problem solving/ trouble shooting skills.
• Perform other duties as necessary in support of Yalelo objectives.
• BA/BS in Microbiology.
Industry Experience: Microbiology/Ecology/Water Quality/Food laboratory/FMCG experience preferred
Two (2) years work experience at least.
Ability to work well independently and in a team-based environment.
May be required to work a schedule outside business hours and/or flexible shifts.
Honesty: Must always convey accurate data to management. Honesty is critical to help management problem solve any issues.
Multi-tasking: Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and follow procedures exactly, every time.
Communication: Demonstrate effective communication and professionalism at all levels. Must be able to effectively communicate in English (both written and verbal).
Great Attendance: Must be able to maintain attendance (48 hour/week) and work with limited supervision. Judgment: Demonstrate professional judgment, relate all information and data to management. 100% accuracy expected and must be prepared to discuss any issues that deviate from normal laboratory procedures.
Flexibility: Adapts to changing business needs, conditions and work responsibilities.
How to Apply
If this is YOU, Yalelo wants to hear from you today!!! Please email your cover letter and CV to: