John Snow, Inc. (JSI) seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and providers for the recently awarded United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/PEPFAR-funded Supporting an AIDS-Free Era (SAFE) Project in Zambia. The five year project which will be led by JSI in partnership with Abt Associates,mothers2mothers, and the Catholic Medical Mission Board, will work to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity and transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration in three provinces: Central, Copperbelt, and North-Western. USAID/PEPFAR SAFE will work with the GRZ, private sector and civil society institutions at the national, provincial, and district level to increase access to ART for HIV positive adults and children, reduce the incidence of new infections, improve Nutritional Assessment, Counseling and Services (NACS) and family planning services, and increase the capacity of local health institutions to better serve affected populations.
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Ndola & Solwezi (Kindly specify your choice in the application letter)
• This is a very senior and strategic position which requires a results-oriented and self-motivated health leader.
• The Regional Director will be the overall accountable leader responsible for the successful implementation of SAFE activities in line with the approved program design, budget, and timeframe, and in compliance with USAID requirements.
• She/he will have overall responsibility for managing the SAFE project in the province, including overseeing planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of all SAFE activities.
• The incumbent will report directly to the Deputy Chief of Party.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Provide overall technical and program management support to project staff in project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of SAFE activities and ensure implementation is in compliance with USAID guidelines and procedures
• Overall coordination to ensure cost effective and timely completion of project activities, program and technical deliverables as per approved work plan.
• Overall coordination of the development and submission of key program deliverables, including the work plan, success stories, monthly/quarterly and annual reports, and any other reports as required.
• Overall monitoring of programmatic and technical performance of SAFE in order to ensure progress towards meeting set project goals, objectives and technical deliverables with appropriate standard of quality.
• Overall responsibility for refining, implementing and regularly updating program management systems and tracking tools.
• Participate in pre-award assessments, development and management of sub-agreements, ensure that issues are identified and addressed through appropriate follow-up action and support.
• Provide guidance to the sub- partners in programmatic and contractual areas.
• Lead in building and managing relations and networks with all stake holders to advance SAFE goals and objectives.
• Develop comprehensive networking and collaboration between SAFE and key GRZ, USG and non USG stakeholders in the province.
• Coordinate SAFE program reviews with stakeholders in the province.
• Supervise and mentor provincial staff
• Any other duties assigned by the Project Director
• Applicant should have provided the following for at least 7 years:
• Technical expertise in planning for HIV prevention, care and treatment; excellent organizational skills and time management
• Basic budgeting & financial management; decision making, directing and delegating
• Problem solving skills
• Team building/people management; conflict management/negotiation skills; stakeholder management
• Effective application of accountability, strong monitoring and evaluation skills; excellent oral and written communication
• Able to make sound judgements in a high pressure work environment
• Evidence of personal learning and development.
• MBChB with qualifications in MPH, MBA or equivalent or commensurate experience in a senior position within the Zambian health system.
How to apply
Send a written application either via email or through regular mail. Your application should consist of a cover letter and a detailed CV, including full addresses and contact telephone numbers. Please indicate the position you are applying for in your cover letter and also give names, addresses and contact telephone numbers of three referees.
Send email applications, with the position you are applying for in the subject line, to:
The Human Resources Manager
USAID SAFE, 45/5B Incito Office Complex,
Reedbuck Road, Kabulonga,
PO Box 51742,