The opportunity exists for a suitably qualified and experienced candidates to lecture in the School of Medicine programmes in Internal Medicine, Peadiatrics and Obs & Gyn, contribute to the delivery and development of modules using open online resources in a blended learning environment. Willingness to contribute to research methods modules at undergraduate and postgraduate levels is expected. The candidates appointed will undertake research/scholarly activities and the supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate student placements and research dissertations as appropriate. The candidates will be expected to contribute to the School of Medicine research strategy and the research agendas. The successful candidate will also undertake administration associated with teaching duties and other administrative duties as directed by the Dean of School of Medicine. Successful candidates may also be asked to contribute to the enterprise activities of the School.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Teaching and learning support
• Design teaching material using free online resources and deliver across a range of modules.
• Use appropriate teaching, learning support and assessment methods.
• Supervise student projects, and/or e.g. field trips and, where appropriate, placements.
• Identify areas where current provision is in need of revision or improvement.
• Contribute to the planning, design and development of objectives and material.
• Set, mark and assess work and examinations and provide feedback to students.
Research and scholarship
• Support the development of research objectives, projects and proposals.
• Participate in individual or collaborative research, enterprise or scholarly projects.
• Support the identification of sources of funding and contribute to the process of securing funds.
• Apply knowledge acquired from scholarship to teaching, research and appropriate external activities.
• Write or contribute to publications or disseminate research findings using other appropriate media.
• Make presentations at conferences or exhibit work in other appropriate events.
• Routinely communicate complex and conceptual ideas.
Liaison and networking
• Participate in and help develop internal and external networks for the benefit of CUZ School of Medicine in the areas of teaching and research.
• Mentor colleagues with less experience and advise on personal development.
• Depending on the area of work, could be expected to supervise the work of others.
• Act as a responsible team member, leading where agreed, and develop productive working relationships with other members of staff.
• Collaborate with colleagues to identify and respond to students’ needs.
Initiative, problem-solving and decision-making
Assess, interpret and evaluate outcomes of research.
• Identify the need for developing the content or structure of modules with colleagues and make proposals on how this should be achieved.
• Develop ideas promoting the subject and/or research areas e.g.
Develop ideas and find ways of disseminating and applying the
results of research and scholarship.
• Responsibility for the design and delivery of own modules and
• Collaborate with colleagues on the implementation of assessment procedures.
• Advise others on strategic issues such as student recruitment and marketing.
• Contribute to the accreditation of courses and quality control processes.
• Planning and managing resources
• As subject leader, co-ordinate with others (such as support staff or academic colleagues) to ensure student needs and expectations are met.
• Manage projects relating to own area of work.
• Participating in developing ideas for generating income.
Sensory, physical and emotional demands.
• Balance the pressures of teaching and administrative demands and competing deadlines.
• Work environment
• Within the context of CUZ School of Medicine, expected to conduct risk assessment and take responsibility for the health and safety of others especially in the laboratory.
• Possess sufficient breadth and depth of specialist knowledge in the area of expertise to develop teaching and/or research programmes and the provision of learning support.
• Use a range of delivery techniques.
Qualifications for the post:
Suitable candidates should have the following:
• GCE – O level certificate
• Preferably MB ChB or BDS but Biomedical Science degree may be considered
• Relevant Masters degree
• Teaching/research experience of not less than 2 years in a reputable institution.
• Competent in English communication both spoken and written.
• Computer literate, Microsoft excel, word and PowerPoint.
• Teaching Methodology will be an added advantage.
How to Apply
Send your applications to:
the Director Human Resource,
Kindly note that only electronic applications will be accepted.