First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do. In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents. With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
• The incumbent will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
• Leadership of safe, environmentally sound and efficient field-based operations
• Develop positive working relationships with JV partners, local authorities and communities
• Continual refinement and improvement of the exploration process
• Training and mentoring team members to develop their skills, knowledge of the deposits and exploration techniques; increasing their exposure to geologic interpretation, resource modeling, prioritization of drill targets, and contractor supervision
• Ensuring that all company safety standards, policies, and procedures are followed along with the Mining Act and Regulations
• Regular reporting on exploration progress against objectives
• Other duties as instructed by the Manager
• A minimum of an MSc in Geosciences
• Registration as a Professional Geoscientist or eligibility for such registration is required
• Basic First Aid Training
• 10 years relevant experience of which 5 years should be at senior level
• Bold initiative
• Safety conscious
• Upholding quality
• Technical Skill
• Organization skills
• Reliable personality
• Honesty and integrity
• Exposure to dust, heat and noise
• An understanding of the cultural and political environment
• An understanding of relevant legislation, policies and procedures
• Advanced geological skills including integration of regional studies, basin modelling, depositional models, structural architecture and evolution and risk analysis.
• Demonstrated ability to work with multiple forms and various vintages of data including geologic mapping, structural analysis, petrography, geochemistry and geophysics to develop and rank exploration targets
• A strong skillset in the use of geological software including Leapfrog, Mapinfo and DataShed is required
• Self-starter, team player with strong analytical and communication skills and enjoys working in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment
• Supervise the progress of an exploration team consisting of geologists, technicians and contractors on several active projects while ensuring best practices are maintained
• Good management and motivational skills required to unite and further develop the team
• Directing the application of existing principles and guiding the development of new approaches
• Adapting style and using persuasion in delivering messages.
• Ability to multi-task, plan and prioritize between competing projects.
• Reacting quickly and flexibly to changing circumstances.
• Excellent verbal, written, listening and influencing skills
• Aligning technical objectives to business and project drivers
• Proven high levels of integrity and a reputation for the same
How to apply
Send your application to the link below: