One Acre Fund is an agricultural NGO in Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Malawi, Tanzania, and Zambia that is innovating a new way of helping farm families to achieve their full potential. One Acre Fund invests in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income. We provide farmers with a complete market bundle that includes seed and fertilizer, financing for farm inputs and insurance, modern farming trainings, and market facilitation and harvest storage techniques. Our program is proven impactful – every year, we weigh thousands of harvests and measure more than 50-100% percent average gain in farm income per acre. We are growing quickly. In ten years, we have grown to serve more than 500,000 farm families.
• One Acre Fund is a rapidly growing organization; increasing the number of sub-locations, districts, and members we serve in each year.
• We are seeking a communications officer to help in our media relations work in Zambia and Malawi, and document our impact, progress and growth through photos, interviews, and reports.
• We are seeking an experienced individual to assist our communications team in building media relations with journalists in Zambia, lead efforts towards mitigating reputational risks, sharing the stories of our farmers and hosting guests out in the field.
• This role will report to the Africa communications Associate in Kenya, and work closely with him to execute our Zambia media strategy and produce written and visual content.
• This position requires strong written and oral communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to learn a variety of story-telling techniques.
• Experience in media is desired but is not required (although if a candidate lacks media experience, a genuine interest in mastering media work is required).
• The successful candidate will also be a clear and confident communicator, comfortable in interviewing farmers, staff, and large groups on a wide array of topics, and comfortable photographing clients and staff on a regular basis.
• The role also requires excellent time-keeping and organizational skills and the ability to coordinate schedules and logistics for guests of the organization, as well as logistics for trips to visit all of the districts in Zambia where One Acre Fund operates.
• This position will be working under remote management the majority of the time, so a successful candidate will be someone who excels in working independently, is self-motivated to complete tasks, communicates proactively with their supervisor, and who thrives in a structured work planning environment.
• Media monitoring and relations
• Monitor local news and produce a weekly media report on relevant news and mentions
• Cultivate local media relationships
• Host visiting media in the field
• Gather quotes and testimonials for press releases and inquiring media
• Draft enrollment press releases
• Pitch stories to local media
Farmer interviews and reports
• Identify farmers to showcase in presentations, written communications, and visual media
• Conduct in-person interviews with farmers and record details in written reports
• Collect testimonials for field marketing
• Maintain local database of farmers interviewed and story angles
• Identify farmers for guests of One Acre Fund to visit, as directed by Corp Ops
• Maintain local database of “go-to” farmers for Corps Ops as needed
• Liaise with farm family for permissions and scheduling
• Host select guests during farmer visits, serving as a translator as needed
• Be comfortable thinking on feet when visits go differently than planned
• Acquire basic photography skills and serve as a back-up field photographer
• Take photos of all seasonal field and operational activities and archive them appropriately.
• Photograph products for annual product catalogs
• Photograph clients for blog stories and time-sensitive requests
• Content Brainstorming
• Brainstorm possible story ideas and pitch them with proposed angles.
• Other duties as assigned.
• If you have skills or experiences in these areas, please highlight them on your cover letter and resume.
Career Growth and Development
• One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership capacity.
• We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through weekly mentorship and regular career reviews.
• We also have regular one-on-one meetings where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about.
• We are seeking exceptional professionals with a strong background in communications work, and a demonstrated long-term passion for sustainable agricultural development in sub-Saharan Africa.
• We are looking for extraordinary candidates that are proactive; please only apply if you fit these criteria:
• Passionate about serving smallholder farmers
• Language: fluent in English and Bemba and Nyanja
• Demonstrated basic computer skills, including typing and email
• Clear communicator in-person and on the phone
• Proactive problem solver
• Integrity and a positive attitude
• Demonstrates high-quality work with a strong attention to detail
• Willingness to commit to living in rural Zambia for a long-term position
• Independent worker with strong ability to manage own schedule and tasks
• Confident communicator who is comfortable talking with many people on a variety of topics
Ability to work as part of a larger team
• Top-performing undergraduate degree in communications, journalism or other relevant fields from a recognized University
• Language: fluent in English, Bemba and Nyanja
• Leadership experience at work, or outside of work
• Proven ability to set and meet targets on the job
• Media relations experience
• Photography experience
• Writing experience
Start Date: May 2018
BENEFITS: NAPSA, airtime, health scheme, small transportation allowances, and a work computer.
How to apply
Send your applications