Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children. Our Vision is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. In Zambia, Save the Children works in the following Thematic areas: Education, Health& Nutrition, Child Protection, Child Rights Governance and Child Poverty; including Humanitarian response. Once 30th August 2017 - Zambia has been receiving new arrivals from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) mainly from Pweto in Haute, Katanga and Moba in Tanganyika Provinces at the Chiengi border crossing. The Congolese refugees and asylum seekers are running away from conflicts between Government armed forces and their allies (Abatembo) and the Elema (Elements). Majority of the refugees crossed into Zambia through Chiengi District in Luapula Province. In recent days, 75% of the Congolese who are being relocated to Kenani refugee transit centre in Nchelenge are those who arrived earlier but decided to stay in Zambian villages and are now coming forward to seek asylum. As such, 25% of the new arrivals have recently crossed borders. In order to provide support on this, Save the Children in Zambia has made efforts and partnered with other organisations to respond to this emergency in Nchelenge district and wishes to invite qualified individuals to apply for the following new position.
Duty Station: Nchelenge
• This post is mainly defined as one responsible for technical supervision and quality control for the construction; verification and certification process of infrastructure in the Save the Children Zambia country office including in the humanitarian sector
• The Project engineer will be responsible for carrying out and overseeing all aspects of the work from inception to completion, including: Building Survey, Design, Specification, Schedule of Works, Programme of Works Tender and Contract Administration Supervision and Inspection of Works.
• The post holder will work in close collaboration with Ministry of General Education (MoGE) and other line ministries where necessary.
Key Areas of Accountability:
• Planning and maintaining schedules of work, individually and for those they are responsible for. This will include setting and working to targets and deadlines of all infrastructure projects;
• Maintaining daily all assigned project records and providing weekly reports and other reports as required by the field office and Operations director;
• To be responsible for the accuracy of the building surveys to ensure that all information and measures are correct;
• The diligent production of Plans of Works, Specifications, Bills of Quantities, Cost Estimates, and Drawings for all infrastructure;
• To be responsible for providing all information required for the procurement of contracted works;
• To be responsible for ensuring rigorous supervision of all contracted and grant funded works;
• Verification and certification of the all construction works done and make recommendations for payment in liaison with the necessary line ministry Resident Engineer/Senior buildings officer/ District Buildings Officer;
• Ensure smooth communication between all parties involved in the construction works;
• Document lessons learned in the construction works;
The post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Qualifications and experience
• Degree/Diploma in Civil Engineering, Architecture, or related building Sciences;
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the construction sector in Zambia, preferably in the education sector including schools;
• Applicants must be fluent in English and should have good analytical and writing skills;
• Good analytical and report writing skills;
• Demonstrated ability to set and achieve objectives;
• Strong knowledge in project cycle management;
• English language proficiency a must;
• Strong communication(verbal and writing skills) , interpersonal and representational skills;
• Flexible and adaptable to dynamic changes and fast-paced work environment;
• Ability to work under pressure and with minimum supervision;
• Knowledge of word, Microsoft excel, AutoCAD and power point
How to apply
Send only your application letter clearly stating the position in the subject line with a detailed CV indicating 3 traceable referees, one of whom should have been direct supervisor, through email to:
The Director Human Resource,