Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance. Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Manager focuses on surveillance and information management, monitoring programmatic IRS delivery, and evaluating associated epidemiological, entomological, and environmental impact in targeted communities.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
• Lead the needs assessments and baseline surveys/data collection process prior to IRS campaigns.
• Lead establishment of routine M&E systems to support tracking of IRS program activities, progress, and performance.
• Improve programmatic monitoring efforts through managing the data collection of routine spray activities from district-based spray teams and reporting the data for internal and client use.
• Design, review and test M&E tools for reporting formats and data collection. These can include mobile-based tools, digitally-enumerated satellite images or atlases, and other innovations to data collection, data quality, data entry, and data reporting.
• Ensure appropriate skills are developed and maintained with the national and district IRS staff through focused trainings for continued maintenance of the established M&E tracking systems. This includes training temporary field VC staff on appropriate methods of data collection, entry, reporting, and quality.
• Track and report data on all project indicators to the Abt Home Office, local clients and PMI/Washington. This includes regular updating of the project’s official Monitoring and Evaluation Plan.
• Prepare monitoring and evaluation plans, including defining program indicators and sources of data, as well as annual reports and other project documents.
• Conduct periodic internal Data Quality Assessments (DQAs) and prepare the project for possible external DQAs Audits to ensure validity, integrity, precision, reliability and timeliness of all performance data, identifying gaps and suggesting corrective actions on time.
• The position requires frequent travel to VC implementing districts and field sites for routine monitoring, program supervision, and support and frequent communication with site and home office staff to report on VC campaign progress.
• Oversee epidemiological periodic data collection and analyses, in conjunction with the national government and TO1 VC partners.
• Six (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
• Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce
• Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
• Masters Degree in a relevant health sector field, such as Environmental Health, Public Health, Community Health, Health Information Systems, or Health Economics.
• At least five (5) years of relevant experience in program monitoring and evaluation and in research, with previous IRS or other malaria program experience desirable.
• Experience in MS Access, GIS applications;, GPS measurement data collection, the DHIS2 platform, and/or Tableau desirable.
• Experience with mobile platforms (ODK, CommCare, KoboCollect, EpiInfo, Fulcrum, etc.), mobile data collection, and/or GIS satellite imagery are highly desirable.
• Experience and familiarity with PMI program monitoring and evaluation, and performance monitoring.
• Strong analytic and quantitative database management skills, budgeting and report writing.
• English language fluency.
How to apply
Send your CV to the email below: