The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance. Under supervision of the Operations Manager, the District Coordinator will focus on programmatic and management oversight for all aspects of the project’s spray operations in their assigned district(s), including spray campaign planning, technical assistance and training, logistical and operational support and supervision, and activity tracking and reporting. S/he will coordinate closely with provincial government counterparts, and oversee the activities of project field staff and seasonal spray teams.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
• Manage robust IRS campaign planning efforts in assigned geographical area, including quantification of insecticides and equipment needs; identification and recruitment of spray teams; logistical planning for IRS distribution and transportation; insecticide and equipment storage, security, and environmental safety; and coordination with provincial level Ministry of Health counterparts.
• Work in collaboration with the malaria and IRS focal point persons at the Provincial or District Health Office to manage the planning and coordination of IRS activities.
• Oversee the recruitment, training, and supervision of spray teams and IRS spray operators.
• Supervise and track inventory distribution and storage of materials, work with the logistics and procurement team to support procurement of IRS materials.
• Supervise IRS implementation, and contribute to the trainings conducted in the assigned geographical area.
• Ensure that routine program tracking and reporting are in place and delivered on time.
• Supervise and monitor field data collection with project M&E team.
• Manage the community mobilization and SBCC/IEC campaigns and data collection process.
• Ensure that all risk prevention and environmental compliance measures are fully implemented and work closely with the project environmental compliance staff and district/province officers to address relevant issues.
• Facilitate communication between the districts in the assigned geographic area and the project office.
• Represents the program at meetings with the community leaders and local steering committees.
• Prepare weekly and other activity reports as directed by the project Operations Manager.
• The position requires frequent travel to field sites to support and oversee district and community level operations and activities.
• Three ( + ) years of experience OPreferred Skills / Prerequisites
• Bachelors Degree
• Two (2) years of relevant professional work experience, with significant amounts of experience directly in Vector Control and IRS Operations
• Experience in regulatory and operational aspects of insecticide use and management is preferred
• Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision
• Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members
• Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets.
• Demonstrates leadership and team work and produces high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner and has excellent writing skills.
• Excellent interpersonal communications, and organizational skills.
• Excellent computer skills, computer software programs, including MSWord, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Experience with USAID funded programs and/or other international development experience.
• English language fluency the equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce
• Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
How to apply
Send your CV to the email below: